Frequent Contributor
BoysMumx2
Re: (Hopefully) My Journey to Homeownership

I just went through the whole IBR drama thing too and the best advice I can give on that one is keep a close eye on your accounts with your student loan servicers (if you have more than one and it sounds like you do - I do too).  I'm with ACS and Great Lakes...  Great Lakes has been a total pain and is still reporting my one loan as "in-school" status - thanks to my graduate school reporting that I'm still enrolled - argh!  ACS has been easier to deal with and got all my IBR requests processed within their 7-10 day window.  If you're with Nelnet or one of the others, I couldn't say how quickly they will move but I'm betting that it will be similar timing.

The biggest thing is to be sure that your loans are in a status that allows for IBR - either forebearance or repayment (I believe).  If they are in-school or grace, they won't process the IBR request.  I ended up doing the consolidation to get the majority OUT of grace so I could get the darned IBR payments set up. 

I'm sorry to hear that they're requiring you to include your separated-husband's income.  I'll be crossing my fingers that it all works out for you!

Starting Score: EQ 622, TU 676, EX 643 (mtg lender pulls) 2/1/12
Current Score: EQ 743, TU 775 (6/18 MyFico), EX 722 (per CITI approval letter 6/29/12 pull)
Goal Score: New goal: 760+ on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge