Moderator Emeritus
llecs
Re: Sample GW letter for a paid Collection
[ Edited ]

Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

OP, while GW letters can easily come from a template, your best GW letters will be the ones you create from scratch. I've always drafted my GWs after two things: 1) What happened to get myself there and 2) what do I want to see happen as a result of the letter. There are two things you need to know about the audience: 1) they hate to read, and 2) they don't care about you (I don't mean that in a bad sense. They read dozens of sob stories on a daily basis and they are numb to this by this point).

IMO, when writing to a paid CA, tell them in a couple of sentences max that you went through a crisis or faced issues (e.g. loss of job, death in family, divorce, forgot to pay it, whatever....but be honest) and tell them you learned or you recovered quickly and that you made it right by paying it (mention in full if that's the case. Don't mention that you settled it, but say that you paid it). Then start a new paragraph and in 1-2 sentences tell the reader what you want done (e.g. "I am writing today to repsectfully request a deletion of this account from my three credit reports" or something like that). And maybe wrap it up with a sentence like, "your removal would go a long way in helping us get our first mortgage" or something like that.

Conclude with a sign-off like "respectfully yours" or "thank you". And type your name. Somewhere in the letter, be sure to include your full name, address, and e-mail if you want to reveal that. Also include any account numbers that the CA used if available. Unlike a DV letter, you really want to be friendly and helpful to the CA and provide info to link back to you like an account number.