Community Leader
Epic Contributor
Posts: 26,021
Registered: ‎03-19-2007
Re: Rushmore Service Center

Once you become aware that a debt collector has obtained collector authority, either by way of assignment from the OC or purchase of the debt, you can send them a request for debt verification under FDCPA 809(b).  You dont have to wait for them to initiate collection activities.


Your DV will invoke an automatic cease collection bar on them, preventing their reporting of their collection to a CRA until they have provided the requested debt verification.

It at least gives you a breather against reporting.


However, a DV is a two-edged sword.  Its imposition of a cease collection bar also prevents them from any negotiations, which is a collection activity.


Your choice.  If you wish to contact them and request to pay in exchange for their NOT reporting, that might be the best path.  That might be more acceptable to them than a request for deletion after they have reported.