Established Member
scuba_steve
How to get USAA to validate?
[ Edited ]

Hello, I'm new to the community and have been very thankful for the info I've been able to use. Slowly, but surely, I am on my way up on the scorefront. However, I have one CO that is now with a CA through USAA. This CO appears to be hurting my scores greatly. I honestly believe this is not my responsibility and am looking for help.

This was originally my DW's account that she opened as an indvidual account. Then, she added me as an AU a few months after it was opened. I also need to mention that we did have a joint checking account with USAA at the same time. My DW filed BK (C7) in 12/09 and everything seemed to go well. Fast forward 3 years later and I am being contacted by a CA in regards to this account. When I check my CR, it shows as my individual account as a CO and is showing as 35 times 90+ late. I wish I had been monitoring earlier...

I've DVed the CA and am waiting to see if I get a response. I've also disputed with all 3 CRAs, but all came back as verified. When I called the OC to ask about the account, I was told it was mine and to contact the CA for any information. I told the person in the "Deceased Accounts" department that it wasn't mine and asked for proof. She said she would request proof and I would receive it in the mail in about 10 days. I asked what happens if they cannot provide proof and she said "nothing."

I called back and spoke to someone else. I asked for some type of proof that I was on the account like a signed application or agreement and he said that signatures are no longer required and I probably opened the account on the internet. I have never been in the military and cannot be a member of USAA. I've also written to them, at his suggestion, requesting documentation that this account is mine.

Another interesting point is that the account does not show on any of her CRs, at all.

What should I do to convince the OC that this is not my responsibility? They take the stance that since they say it is mine, it is mine. We are going to start shopping for a house in the next few months and I need to take care of this. If they show that somehow I am responsible, I will work out some sort of arrangement with them, but it will be a big hit to my UTIL.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!