Frequent Contributor
Posts: 454
Registered: ‎08-18-2008
Re: More child support reporting questions

You as the custodial parent do have some rights, though once an order says that child support will go through the state, not only do the states have a lot of power, so do the feds. That'so how the account is getting transferred without either of you doing anything. Does he owe back child support from before he moved? That balance would be transferred to Florida I would imagine, and if it's arrears, it's theirs to collect, so they would report it. I would tell him it will save him thousands to spend a little money on an attorney that does family law and knows how to communicate with the child support enforcement agencies.


Another thought is that you could conceivably give him credit for a balance paid, whether he's paid it or not, and they would accept that. I wouldn't do that, since then you could never legally recover it, and it's your kid's money really, but if you have a really good relationship, or if he could, I don't know, give you collateral, or maybe sign a personal loan agreement that you can enforce in another court, then you could give him that credit so it wouldn't report through the CSEU.


But it's not your responsibility. I'm a big believer in grown-ups being responsible for their own problems. When we save other adults from the discomfort of their own learning curves, those curves take WAY longer, which just extends/postpones the discomfort.