Moderator Emeritus
Re: State Resources
Delaware -

Attorney General

Secretary of State

State Statutes

Title 10, Chapter 47 for judgments. Title 10, Chapter 81 for SOL. Title 30, Chapter 23 (11) for collection agency/mercantile agency license fee.

Search for a CA's license

District of Columbia-

Attorney General

Secretary

State Statutes

Division II, Title 12 for SOL. Division II, Title 15 for judgments.

Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs  

District of Columbia Code - There are no laws specific to collection agencies.

However, 28-3905 (k)(1) allows you to sue a collection agency for violations of the FDCPA and if you win, damages can exceed FDCPA award limits.

To my knowledge, no license or bonding required for collection agencies.

Florida -

Attorney General

Secretary of State

State Statutes

Title VIII, Chapter 95 deals with SOL. Title VI deals with judgments. Title XXXIII, Chapter 559, Part VI deals with CA.

The Division of Consumer Services of the Department of Financial Services

Georgia -

Attorney General

Secretary of State

State Statutes

Chapter 9 deals with SOL and judgments. Title 18 may be of interest.

To the best of my knowledge, Georgia does not require licensing or bonding of collection agencies.

Hawaii -

Attorney General

State Statutes

Statutes that pertain to Consumer Protection

Dept of Commerce and Consumer Affairs

Search for a licensed CA

Statutes/ Rules

Idaho -

Attorney General

Secretary of State

State Statutes

Title 5, Chapter 2 deals with SOL.  Title 26, Chapter 22 deals with CA. A few different titles deal with judgments.

Statutes/Laws relating to Dept. of Finance

Includes links to the Idaho Collection Agency Act and the Idaho Credit Code and other valuable links.

Department of Finance

Check a CA's license

Illinois -

Attorney General

Secretary of State

State Statutes

Chapter 225 deals with CA.  Chapter 735, Article XIII, Part 2 deals with SOL.

Check to see if a CA is licensed

Indiana-

Attorney General

Secretary of State

To search for licensed CA

State Statutes

Find SOL and judgment information in Chapter 34, Chapter 25 for Collection Agencies.

Iowa-

Attorney General

Secretary of State

State Statutes

On the left side click the + sign to the left of "2007 Merged Iowa Code and Supplement", then the + sign next to "Statutes", then the + sign to the left of "2007 Merged Iowa Code and Supplement" to expand the list to get where you need to be.

Title XIII, Subtitle 3, Chapter 537 is the Consumer Credit Code. Chapter 537, Sections 537.7101-537.7103 is the debt collection practices act. Title XV, Subtitle 3 is where you can find information regarding judgments and SOL.

To my knowledge, Iowa does not require CA to be either licensed or bonded.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources