Moderator Emeritus
Re: State Resources
Kansas -

Attorney General

Secretary of State

State Statutes

Chapter 50, Article 7 pertains to Fair Credit Reporting.  Chapter 60 for SOL and judgments.

Kansas, to my knowledge, does not require a CA to be licensed or bonded.

Kentucky -

Attorney General

Secretary of State

State Statutes

See Title XXXVVI, Chapter 413 for SOL and judgment information. Title XXXIX, Chapter 426 pertains to enforcement of judgments. Title XLII, Chapter 454 has information on judgments as well.

No licensing or bonding of CA required, to my knowledge.

Louisiana -

Attorney General

Secretary of State

Search for a business license

State Statutes

Civil Code for SOL and judgment information.

Maine-

Attorney General

Secretary of State

Search for a licensed CA               

State Statutes

Title 14, Part 2 for SOL.  Title 14, Part 3 for judgments.  Title 9-A is Maine Consumer Credit Code. Title 10, Chapter 210 is the Maine Fair Credit Reporting Act.  Title 32, Chapter 10 deals with collection agencies. Title 32, Chapter  109-A is the Maine Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Maryland-

Attorney General

Secretary of State

State Statutes

Title 7 of the Business Regulation Code deals with collection agencies.  Title 5 of the Courts and Judicial Proceedings deals with SOL and Title 11 with judgments.

Check the CA for a certificate of good standing

To be a licensed debt collector in Maryland, one must get the licenses listed on this page that are applicable-

Massachusetts -

Attorney General

Secretary of State

Search for a CA's license

State Statutes

Part III for SOL and judgments.  Part I, Title XV, Chapter 24- Chapter 28 deals with collection agencies.

Michigan -

Attorney General

Secretary of State

State Statutes

Chapter 445, Act 70 of 1981, Regulation of Collection Practices and Act 331 of 1976, Consumer Protection Act . Chapter 600, Act 236 of 1961 for SOL and judgments.

Interesting information if you are a co-signer on a debt can be found here.

Other potentially helpful information

Check for a CA's license

Minnesota -

Attorney General

Secretary of State

State Statutes

Chapter 332 for collection agencies. Chapter 541 for SOL, Chapter 548, 549, 550 for judgments.

Check for a CA's license

Mississippi -

Attorney General

Secretary of State

State Statutes

Title 15, Chapter 3 for SOL.  Title 9, Chapter 7 for judgments. Title 11 contains useful information.

To my knowledge, the state does not require any bonding or licensing of collection agencies, but the cities in Mississippi do.

Missouri -

Attorney General

Secretary of State

State Statutes

Title XXXV for SOL and judgments. Title XXVI is Creditor-Debtor Relations and Title XXVII is Contracts and Contractual Relations. On automobile notes, the SOL falls under the UCC SOL.

No requirement for collection agencies to be licensed and/or bonded.

Montana -

Attorney General

Secretary of State

Office of Consumer Protection

Montana Code

Title 31, Chapter 2 covers debtor and creditor relationships. Chapter 3, Part 1 deals with CRAs. Title 27, Chapter 3 deals with SOL and provides information on judgments, as does Chapter 25.

Licensing Information -

Montana does not require licensing for collection agencies. However, all businesses located within the state must register with the Secretary of State.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources