Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 11,562
Registered: ‎08-29-2007
Re: I need help badly!!!!!

If you have collections for an apartment complex you never lived in, I would do 2 things.


Some will disagree, but I would contact the apartment complex directly and ask about this account. Ask for proof of the debt. If they admit that you never lived there, then ask for fax number, Fax them a letter giving them X days to call off the CA and get the accounts off your reports or you are suing both them and the CA.


If the apartment complex insists that this is your debt, file a police report and ID theft affidavit. Send copies to both the CA and the CRA.


Check out the FTCs website regarding ID theft below. It walks you through the process and provides sample letters to send to the CRA and the CA.


DEFEND: Recover from Identity Theft

Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources