My First PFDs
01-07-2010 12:13 AM
I just finished compiling all of the information in my 3 credit reports into one big master spreadsheet so that I could see all of what was going on. I'm ready to plan my attack and think I should start with the Collection Accounts, which I have the most of. In total there are 7 collection accounts and my first thought based on some conversation here on the message boards is to send PFD letters to get these items removed. I'll be setting money aside as it becomes available to pay these off one-by-one. Please see the quick descriptions of each and let me know if I'm on the right track:
- 2 medical accounts from one hospital visit that I firmly believe my insurance should have taken care of. The amounts are fairly low, $39 and $129. I'm thinking that I should go ahead and generate PFD letters for these two items and just pay them to get them off my reports. Are there special circumstances that I need to consider for medical collections?
- BoA sent a checking account that went into overdraft and was subsequently closed to collection. This is being reported on 2 out of 3 of the CRAs and they are also reporting to ChexSystems. The remaining balance is $347. I think I should try to negotiate a PFD with them as well. Anyone had any luck getting mishandled checking accounts removed with PFDs?
- Afni is reporting on a balance owed to Verizon - $378. Can I negotiate a reduced settlement?
- Portfolio Recvry & Affil / Collect America is reporting a balance of $805. I'm really not even sure what the heck this is. I need to go thru all of my files to find out.
- ProCollect is reporting on a balance due to an old apartment complex. They are reletting fees that I disagree with totaling $3,318. I've gotten other apartments since leaving here. Can I negotiate a reduced settlement?
- University of Phoenix is reporting a balance of $300. I enrolled for classes there with financial aid and then dropped the classes. Financial Aid took their money back and now the school is saying I owe them $300, which I disagree with. The last date of activity on this was December 2004 so I'm considering waiting this one out and letting it fall off next year.
Thanks in advance for your help/feedback!