Moderator Emerita
Re: Child Support Woes

Booner72 wrote:

...If you are out there divorcing, see if there is anything you can do to get it in your orders that support ENDS at 18 or h.s. graduation.

Sorry about the ongoing trauma. I know it's horribly frustrating, and I hope that you will finally be able to get documentation as to whether or not she is truly attending.

As for your last statement, I would gently suggest that rather than getting out of helping one's kids as early as possible, find a way to help them as they transition (in a verifiable manner, unlike your stepdaughter) to adulthood. It's an ugly world out there these days for young people. I don't mean an endless series of payments, but a tapering of support that will help (and encourage) them to stand on their own two feet.

Our children were all 21 or older when we divorced, but DXH keeps our youngest on his health insurance, and he and I split the cost. She works two jobs, 60 hours a week, and neither has health benefits. She starts law school in the fall, and she'll be able to get her own insurance then.

Even when things have gone sour along the way, producing a child creates some ethical obligations to them. JMO, etc.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007