Moderator Emeritus
Lel
Re: Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

Recently I discovered an iPad application called My Fitness Pal that has been quite enlightening for me.  It tracks your food intake (including calories, fat, carbohydrate, protein, and sodium) and your exercise.  It's probably no different from any of the multitude of calorie/exercise programs out there, but I've enjoyed using it over the last 2 weeks.  The interface is nice.  If you choose - and I haven't - there's a social media aspect to it, where you can allow people to see your progress, invite friends to participate, seek feedback on their message board, etc.

It takes some effort, and it's not always easy to figure out just how much of each item you've consumed.  For example, if you eat a bowl of chicken fried rice from the restaurant, you'd have to guess the amount of chicken, vegetables, rice, and oil that was used to make the dish.  It's actually become kind of a game for me, and makes it fun.  But it has also caused to steer away from prepared meals from restaurants and try to eat more home-prepared meals, because I know exactly what I've put into the meals.

What this site makes "real" for me is the amount of calories in the food that I eat, and what actual serving sizes are supposed to be.  It's astonishing how many calories can be packed into some foods.  It also shows how low-yield some items are in terms of satisfying my appetite.  The other day I had a hankering for something sweet, so I ate one of those Kashi granola bars.  It was barely over an ounce in weight and did nothing to quell my hunger, but it did add 120 calories to my day.  If I had chosen an apple or even a 6 oz container of low fat yogurt, I would no longer have been hungry and would have consumer fewer calories in the process.