Frequent Contributor
Dadaluma83
Re: Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

Just found this thread. I too have some fitness goals over the summer. I have gained 20 pounds in the last year and let me tell you there is nothing more depressing than having to suck in that gut to button up a pair of shorts, when a couple of years ago the only way you could wear those shorts was with a belt otherwise they hang off your hips, now I am worried about breaking off the button when I relax and let the seepage spill over the top of the shorts. :smileyindifferent:

Also the last year I have been more than happy to just sit around the house and play video games or watch tv, all after working behind a computer for 8 hours so I get little exersize and it is affecting my energy level. I can sometimes get 8 or 9 hours of sleep a night. When I get up I need a cup of coffee in the morning, when I get home and get off work in the late afternoon I have another cup, then sometimes literally 30 minutes after having a cup of coffee I am asleep on the couch in front of the tv taking a little nap, then go to bed two hours later. I hate it so I need to stick myself to an excersize routine to boost my energy level.

It is one large goal of live better, made up of several smaller goals. I don't really care about my weight since I will be lifting weights heavily, and what fat weight I lose may be made up by muscle density so weight is not an accurate measurement.

Goal #1: Get my strength and fitness level back that I had in my early to mid 20's which was 4 or 5 years ago. I am going back to my old bodybuilding workout. 6 days a week with a different body area each day. Chest/back one day, shoulders/arms the next, then legs, then repeat so you are getting each group twice a week. My chest/back, and shoulders/arms days take about an hour and a half. Legs take about 45 minutes. Legs are my least favorite day. Squats, leg press, leg extension, and leg curls. When I would just start out on this program I would actually throw up after a leg workout sometime. I have spent the last two months doing light and mild workouts just to build up the fitness level necessary to attempt the bodybuilding 6 day a week one. You have to already be in great shape to attempt it.

I am at the point where I am doing it 3 days a week instead of 6. Still building up my fitness level.

Goal #2: Save money. This goes hand in hand with my fitness goals. First of all after some expensive car repairs and wanting to travel I realized if I cut back on some expenses, I can have more money to travel and more money to pay off my student loans. I can't cut back on rent and bills of course, but I do drive to work every day and also drive back home for lunch. It is a 7 minute drive, or a 15 minute walk. So I started walking to work and have been for the last month. One month ago I got a full tank of gas, it normally lasts me about 3 weeks to a month, well it has been a little over a month now and I have just under 3/4 of a tank of gas. Having to fill up once every 3 months instead of once a month is quite a money saver.

Also have been cutting down on fast food and restaurants. Used to eat out once or twice, sometimes 3 times a week. Now? In the last month and a half I have eaten out exactly once, and that was this past weekend and I decided to reward myself with a burger and fries at a local burger joint to reward myself for walking to work for a full month. Also not eating out at much is a big money saver as well. I can get 3 or 4 meals myself at the grocery store for the price of one meal eating out. Also works wonders for a weight loss program if you are not eating out multiple times a week.

Making sure I get my protein with eating lots of eggs, also make pasta with hamburger meat, and of course my protein shake.

One tip on losing weight is it is not what you eat, but when you eat. Most people have their big meal at dinner, then sit around and watch tv and go to bed. If you try to switch dinner and lunch you are burning calories though the day, then have a light meal at dinner which is ok.

I would like to lose 10 pounds this summer, although weight is not as important as getting my muscle density and fitness and most important of all energy level back so I don't crash out on the couch 30 minutes after having a cup of coffee, and not having my gut spill out over my pants and shorts is a major goal as well. :smileysad:

FICO Scores: TU: 768 (Jan 2012), EQ: 755 (Jan 2012 Lender pull)