Senior Contributor
Booner72
Re: Child Support Woes

Tikon wrote:

Some random comments on a few statements:

1) It's great that a lot of you older people paid for your own education. I did as well, but college is much more expensive now. My university in 2002 was $90 per credit hour, it's much much higher now. When I got my PhD fees were a third what they are now for the same program and I wasn't FORCED to have health insurance like every student is now ($1500 per year).

2) Again, the government calculates financial aid based on a presumed family contribution. If you're not contributing that, you're cheating your child out of the same resources other people are getting.

3) We're 'barely' talking about an adult. A 20 year old could use some understanding and guidance. All I've seen in this thread is vitriol.

4) There's a reason why child support laws have biased towards women. It's because women often get stuck with the responsibility of raising a child AND because men often gets the luxury of a more succesful career (i'm jumbling a lot of discrete factors but bear with me). My family line going back three generations is full of men leaving their family, making good money, and not supporting their children. Perhaps I'm a little biased because of that. Women who stay home and take care of their children are supporting the man's career while ruining their chances of independent financial stability. Men have a long track record of leaving women and children high and dry, so what if there's one example of a newly married man having to provide $300/mo in support? I doubt that's a significant burden. And to be clear, I'm male, and I don't foresee ever feeling particularly oppressed by having to support offspring I chose to bring into this world.

I thought if I hit the "ignore" button I wouldnt have to read this guys posts?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720