Re: Need a category called, "Rebuildin
g Your Savings"
11-11-2012 01:25 PM
Depending on your priorities and inclination may I suggest the following:
1. Make a budget
2. Pay your taxes (Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's)
3. Tithe for God, church and charity
4. Pay your bills & mortgage
5. Pay yourself 10% for savings (long term savings for retirement, house down payment, kids education, etc AND short term savings for vacations, large priced items AND a rainy day fund)
6. What you have left is your discretionary spending. Choose wisely.
I have payroll deductions for taxes, part of my charity and part of my savings. The rest is set up through auto payments (bills & mortgage, and another part of my savings). I am blessed with a decent salary with not a lot of spending requirements and a simple non-extravagant lifestyle. But I am playing catch-up with my retirement savings because I was not so spending careful earlier in my life. My rainy day fund has about 4-5 months at the moment.