New Contributor
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎08-25-2011
Modify tax returns for student loan interest

I have private student loans through discover (use to be citibank). I did not realize until recently that I have to mail them a W9s to receive qualified student loan interest statements for my tax returns. I have been paying on these loans since Jan. 2009 so I would need to file form 1040x for 2009, 2010 and 2011. Does anyone know if Discover will provide me with the qualified interest form (1098E, I believe) for the past 3 years? I was still a graduate student in 2009 and 2010 so I doubt the amended return would result in much. However, in 2011, I paid mostly interest on these loans which was like $5000 so I definitely want to amend that one. Has anyone ever gone through this?


Am I correct with all the forms? Mail a W9s to Discover and request 1098E statements for 2009, 2010 and 2011 and then file form 1040x to the IRS?