Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,717
Registered: ‎08-13-2009
Re: Diversified Collection Services Student Loan

becky22 - if there is already a garnishment in place, not much you can do about it other than pay it.   You have missed the opportunity for those things to be taken into consideration.   For there to be a garnishment, then the OC/CA had to sue you in court and win.  Then when there was no payment forthcoming based on the judgement, the OC/CA would have to go back to court and ask the judge for a wage garnishment.


If you have NOT gone to court yet, for the initial case, then you do have the opportunity to try to negotiate the amount.  Either the CA or the judge may take into account the other factors.


You can ask the OC/CA to accept less, but that may require another court appearance since the garnishment is a court order.