Moderator Emeritus
webhopper
Re: Consolidating Student Loans

SCF wrote:

Are they federal loans?  With those lenders, some or all of them may well be.  I would reccomend that he looks into rehabilitation first.  You can search these forums for all kinds of information and experiences, but long story short, you work out a 9 month payment plan on the defaulted loans, make good on it, and then get new, clean tradelines for each loan.  After that, the loans are eligible for consolidation and other federal benefits (like the Income-based Repayment plan, and deferrments, etc.).

+1...  This will be the quickest way for his credit file to recover from the damage done by the student loans.

I myself had 8 different SL tradelines. I completed Consolidation in 2007, Granted, none were ever late, but the consolidation made it easy to pay on time every time, because it was just one bill, instead of a bunch of different bills.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge