Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug report: Autosave causes multiple replies

tag
core
Valued Contributor

Bug report: Autosave causes multiple replies

This has happened to me more times than I can count now and frankly I'm sick of it because it's embarassing.

Symptom:

When typing a reply to a forum post, the autosave will actually POST message(s) as one is typing.  This results in a whole page of unintended separate replies, usually with partially formed words in progress.

Possible cause:

I haven't put a sniffer on this yet, but I believe this may be caused by using the same form action for autosave and posting, and the hidden <input> which indicates autosave was truncated in the original request. (These vars may include cryptic things like __VIEWSTATEACTION et al, and in my experience this one is usually at the end of the <form>, which would definitely cause this behaviour.)

To recreate:

Eliminate vars from the autosave post data starting from the end and witness new posts being made.

Solution:

Option 1.  Use a different URL for autosave

Option 2.  Move the critical hidden input above the form input so if the page is truncated, it is obvious to the user.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.