Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POSTING FOR DUMMIES--PLEASE HELP!

tag
rom828
Established Contributor

POSTING FOR DUMMIES--PLEASE HELP!

I'm embarrassed to even ask,

but how do you caption a previous post to use in your reply???

I see this done in all the threads, so it must not be that hard.....I just can't figure out how to do it!

I try hitting highlight under reply, but it just highlights...it doesnt copy it and put lines around it....

And I also can't get my smileys (emoticon I guess is the correct term)  to insert as a graphic.....it just inserts as "smiley face sad"  etc...

OK, now everybody knows I am blog, posting and technilogically challenged, but I'm putting aside pride to try to get this figured out!!!  LOL

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: POSTING FOR DUMMIES--PLEASE HELP!

OK, how do you mean, "but how do you caption a previous post to use in your reply???"? Do you mean quoting the previous post, or just making the caption carry on (which it does automatically)?

If you're trying to quote (repeat) the post that you're replying to, click the underlined "Reply" that is actually at the top left of that post, not the bigger "Reply" that's at the top of the overall thread. Once the text box pops open, click "Quote Post" at the upper right, and it will pop up. If you're quoting someone who has been posting in IE (Internet Explorer), especially if they've already quoted several posts themselves, you might have acres and acres of white space to clean off if you want.

For the smileys: are you in Mozilla/ Firefox or in IE? If you're in IE, the easy way to do smileys is to click the "Graphical Editor" button at the lower right, wait for the menu bar to load up at the top, click the smiley button, and pick the one you want. If you're in IE but don't like the graphical editor, or if you're in FF, here's how you do smileys. (You can spell them out if you like, but this is quicker.) Leave out the space between the colon and parenthesis, or whatever the pairs are:

Smiley Happy : )
Smiley Sad : (
Smiley Surprised : O
Smiley Very Happy : D
Smiley Tongue : P
Smiley Indifferent : | (this is the upper case of the \ key)
Smiley Mad : smileymad :

I have probably guessed wrong what you were asking. Smiley Sad It doesn't take much to confuse me these days! Smiley Tongue You were probably asking something completely different Smiley Surprised , so please post back and untangle me (again.) Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 18
rom828
Established Contributor

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!!

Just lost my whole message to you, Hauling!! 

I was trying to find the graphic editor, to no avail.  All I did was manage to lose what I'd written!!LOL   Doesnt seem to be anywhere at the bottom of my screen.  Maybe that part's a little beyond me.  I'll try to play with that later, I guess.

I have both IE (in that now) and FF, so I'll try both. 

But I must say, I am so impressed with the way you can use them with such abandon!!!  Can't wait til I'm that savvy! 

And I clicked on the underlined reply, which is what I usually do, (I didn't even realize there was another reply button at the top of the thread til yo mentioned it!!),  but I don't get any options and it didnt quote your post.......it just gave me this blank screen for my reply.

I am really challenged so maybe I need help beyond what you are generously supplying!!  Perhaps a vist to the computer class of a local kindergarten?!?!?!

Please don't waste much time with me on this one, but if you have any quick thoughts.....otherwise, thanks again for trying to help me!!

Message 3 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@rom828 wrote:
I was trying to find the graphic editor, to no avail. All I did was manage to lose what I'd written!!LOL Doesnt seem to be anywhere at the bottom of my screen. Maybe that part's a little beyond me. I'll try to play with that later, I guess.
I have both IE (in that now) and FF, so I'll try both.

OK, here's what I see when I click "reply" off of your post:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And then here's what it looks like when you click "quote post":

(I'm in Firefox here --do you feel the html love?)

Do you see anything like this when you click your own post? If so, once it pops up, just start highlighting and deleting what you don't want to bring forward.

Otherwise, tell me again what you're in (FF vs IE, and if IE, if you're using the graphical editor or not) and what you see when you click all these goodies.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 18
rom828
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@rom828 wrote:
I was trying to find the graphic editor, to no avail. All I did was manage to lose what I'd written!!LOL Doesnt seem to be anywhere at the bottom of my screen. Maybe that part's a little beyond me. I'll try to play with that later, I guess.
I have both IE (in that now) and FF, so I'll try both.

OK, here's what I see when I click "reply" off of your post:

And then here's what it looks like when you click "quote post":

(I'm in Firefox here --do you feel the html love?)

Do you see anything like this when you click your own post? If so, once it pops up, just start highlighting and deleting what you don't want to bring forward.

Otherwise, tell me again what you're in (FF vs IE, and if IE, if you're using the graphical editor or not) and what you see when you click all these goodies.

LOLOLOLOL!!  I clicked reply and just got the blank screen.......no option to "quote text".  I decided to just start clicking on the little icons under "font name" etc..you know, there the italics and underlining is....and there's a little white square, and guess what?!!!  It say's "quote post"

Woohoooo!!!  Now I'll play around with it a bit so I can shorten the quotes as necessary.

Smiley Happy  See......still having trouble with that!!Smiley HappySmiley Very Happy  I'll hafta really keep working on this......

And Hauling, thank you so, so much for taking the time to help me!!!! 

OMG  OMG  I'm editing because my smileys are showing up!!  I thought they'd show when I typed, but they didnt, but now I see them in my post after I sent it!!  A big fat double woooohoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that how it's supposed to be...that when you're typing your post and you insert a smiley, you see it in text form, but when you 'send', it becomes a graphic?!?!?!

I am so excited!!  I hope I can get them to work again on other posts!!!!!!!!!!!

Message Edited by rom828 on 09-19-2008 06:32 PM

Message Edited by rom828 on 09-19-2008 06:34 PM
Message 5 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Fun, fun!

My bad, I should have logged in separately under IE to see what you were seeing. In the graphical editor, there's an icon that looks like a comic strip quote balloon, but it's squared off. That's the quote function.

Enjoy, enjoy!

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 09-19-2008 07:05 PM
Message 6 of 18
rom828
Established Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Fun, fun!

Enjoy, enjoy!

I will!   I'm sure this will make some of my other posts easier to understand......much clearer about response!! 

I'm so happy about this,  too:  Smiley Very Happy

Thanks so so much for your help!
Message 7 of 18
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

rom828 wrote:

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Fun, fun!

Enjoy, enjoy!

I will!   I'm sure this will make some of my other posts easier to understand......much clearer about response!! 

I'm so happy about this,  too:  Smiley Very Happy

Thanks so so much for your help!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! I can do it too!!!!! This has been something that has bugged me for over a year and I too was too embarrassed to ask.
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 8 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Thank you --more inspiration (and kick in the pants) to finish my how-to thread on this! Smiley Very Happy

edit to add: nice quote job there, cadavis! Smiley Wink

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 09-28-2008 11:43 AM
Message 9 of 18
rom828
Established Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Thank you --more inspiration (and kick in the pants) to finish my how-to thread on this! Smiley Very Happy

edit to add: nice quote job there, cadavis! Smiley Wink

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 09-28-2008 11:43 AM

Hauling....as though you don't already have enough to do!!  I gave you  plaudits ( and a standing ovation) on the other thread about keeping posts shorter.  You are always so helpful and quick with an answer in a nice, non-judgemental way, even something so trite as someone not knowing how to quote or get a smiley face to show up!!!Smiley Very Happy

But a thread would nice.  After cadavis's comment about being embarrassed....and so was I!!Smiley Sad....I'm sure there are a lot more of us out there that would benefit from some "basic training"  (LOL).   I do realize, of course, that the purpose of this forum is no the help posters with their computer skills, but it might make things easier on everybody in the  long run.

I just feel so accomplished now that I know to hit the little square cartoon box (good description, hauling!) to quote, and all my little smileys work now....Smiley HappySmiley Happy...they actually always did, I guess, I just didnt know that they would show up in graphic rather than text once I actually sent the message!! Smiley Very Happy

Now as you've probably noticed, I tend to overdo them on every postSmiley TongueSmiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.