Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reply format problem

tag
dharalex
Established Contributor

Reply format problem

When I reply to a thread in nice flowing paragraphs, the way I typed it converts to I huge paragraph. Even if i made a list, it will still appear as i big paragraph. How do I get my text to appear the way I typed it?

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Reply format problem

When you type your reply, are you showing as being in Rich Text, or in HTML?

I used to love HTML, but several years ago they changed how it was set up, and I had to switch to Rich Text. Smiley Sad

But if I recall correctly, the Giant Parablob used to occur on HTML.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 7
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@dharalex wrote:
When I reply to a thread in nice flowing paragraphs, the way I typed it converts to I huge paragraph. Even if i made a list, it will still appear as i big paragraph. How do I get my text to appear the way I typed it?

Rich text is easier to use, just add breaks (key enter or return) when you what a break. (OR) if you are using HTML just add a <br /> at the end of a line of text you want to "white space" line break.

A lot of word processors do not translate basic formatting correctly when pasted to online forum format. I usually write up long posts using Word, then past it to WordPad which uses Rich text as a default save and generally formats the same as myFICO forum text. I then cut and paste from WordPad. Shorter posts are generally typed freestyle online and spell checked before posting. You can probably format in Rich Text directly in Word, but I always found HTML did not translate that well from word to Web design (I used to write and maintain several web sites).

I assume Apple products are similar but I have no first hand knowledge of Apple software.

Message 3 of 7
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@dharalex wrote:

By any chance are you using a mobile device, such as an iPhone or iPad?  When I use an iPad, it also doesn't see the paragraph breaks in Rich Text.  Either I have to use HTML and add the <br><br> (two in a row to skip a line between paragraphs) or just post short messages that don't require multiple paragraphs.  I can be unnecessarily long-winded at times (or all the time, according to DW), so being forced to write short posts is a good thing.

Message 4 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Lel wrote:

By any chance are you using a mobile device, such as an iPhone or iPad?  When I use an iPad, it also doesn't see the paragraph breaks in Rich Text.  Either I have to use HTML and add the <br><br> (two in a row to skip a line between paragraphs) or just post short messages that don't require multiple paragraphs.  I can be unnecessarily long-winded at times (or all the time, according to DW), so being forced to write short posts is a good thing.

Gee I've never noticed that!  Smiley Surprised

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 7
dharalex
Established Contributor

@Lel wrote:

@dharalex wrote:

Yes, I use an iPad most of the time. Occasionally, I use my mobile device. It seems rich text is the default text, so that's what I use. My PC is a Mac, so maybe I will just try to keep it short! Lol

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 6 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@dharalex wrote:

@Lel wrote:

@dharalex wrote:

Yes, I use an iPad most of the time. Occasionally, I use my mobile device. It seems rich text is the default text, so that's what I use. My PC is a Mac, so maybe I will just try to keep it short! Lol

Ah, that's it then. I should have thought of that at first! It's the iPad/ iPhone thing.

I usually post on a Mac laptop (I am now), and there are no problems. It's just on the mobile formats.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.