Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safari doesn't like the graphical editor

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Safari doesn't like the graphical editor

The graphical editor is great, but am I the only person having problems using it with Safari? If I try to format my post, it will appear fine in the graphical editor window... then when I try to post, I get a big red message about invalid html, which the forum has 'fixed' (removing all my formatting), so at that point I have a choice between posting sans formatting, or to go into the html editor and add html tags myself. When I do that, I find tags with 'font style' and 'font class' etc, which don't actually format the text when I post. If I go through and add my i and b tags for italic/bold, in place of the 'font style' ones... then everything seems to post ok.

I hope that makes sense - I'm not very good at explaining myself today! I like to italicize every other word (almost!) but would like to be able to use the graphical editor as well! Other than that little glitch... I really like the new posting format thingy, thank you! Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Safari doesn't like the graphical editor

Hmm, am I the only Safari user around here? I'm not sure how many people actually read this far down the boards! Anyway... Safari also hates the 'add link' button - it doesn't work, just brings up a blank box, so if I want to add links I have to do the html myself. Hardly a great hardship, but I guess not everyone knows how! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

MV is on Mac, and I think he uses Safari (not positive.) We need to stir him up and get him down here.

In the meantime, try this: click My Profile up above, and choose Preferences. About six lines down in the first section, do you have an option called "Use WYSIWYG Message Editor"? If so, try UN-clicking it. This was the fix for Firefox woes before the upgrade, and I've noticed that things are OK, while I sometimes have problems on IE.

If you un-click it, your default editor will be html, but select the graphical editor, and see if it stays put.

Not sure if Raine has seen this or similar posts, but I'll let her know.

Probably completely irrelevant to your problem, but I'm all about randomly clicking stuff and seeing what happens, and then trying to undo it later. Smiley Tongue
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 10-31-2008 03:23 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The graphical editor is great, but am I the only person having problems using it with Safari? If I try to format my post, it will appear fine in the graphical editor window... then when I try to post, I get a big red message about invalid html, which the forum has 'fixed' (removing all my formatting), so at that point I have a choice between posting sans formatting, or to go into the html editor and add html tags myself. When I do that, I find tags with 'font style' and 'font class' etc, which don't actually format the text when I post. If I go through and add my i and b tags for italic/bold, in place of the 'font style' ones... then everything seems to post ok.

I hope that makes sense - I'm not very good at explaining myself today! I like to italicize every other word (almost!) but would like to be able to use the graphical editor as well! Other than that little glitch... I really like the new posting format thingy, thank you! Smiley Happy 

Let me try 

And a little more

I checked the preview and you are right 

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

<b>testing</b> testing
Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 10-31-2008 05:59 PM
Message 5 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

neither [] nor <> seems to work either

Message 6 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Ok, last attempt part 1

Ok, last attempt part 1

Ye Gods - you have to edit as HTML!  

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 11-01-2008 12:34 PM
Message 7 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

testing

testing

testing

FireFox on a mac is no good either!

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 11-01-2008 04:45 PM
Message 8 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

This sort of thing is why I switched to Camino, back when I had a Mac. It was some sort of beta version of FF for macs.

Too many commercial sites (Verizon at the time; don't know about now) simply didn't support Safari.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, both!!!

I just thought, oooh.... I haven't checked on that post of mine way down at the bottom of the forums - it's so rare that I post outside of pretty much anywhere but the credit card forum that I forget about anything I post elsewhere!

MV... glad it's not just me, that was/is driving me crazy! And HTSU... I'm going to try what you suggested above, see what happens! Thanks for replying, trying to help and such - and sorry it took me so long to see that you had! Smiley Happy

I may switch browsers and see if I get any joy - sounds like Firefox is a no-go but maybe Camino... I always have those three open anyway, as there's a few sites that either only work properly (or properly-ish) in one of the three, or that I just like better in a particular browser for no readily apparent reason! Safari seems pretty stable these days (after recovering from a horrible update a year or so ago that caused it to crash every time I hit the back button!) but clearly not without its problems! 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.