cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1300 Spam Messages ... from a link off the myFico site.

tag
CBear
Established Member

1300 Spam Messages ... from a link off the myFico site.

After enrolling in the myFico program I decided to take a look at the credit card offers offered through the myFico site as suggestions. These cards are advertised on the myFico site - but link to the credit card's website. I was in the process of enrolling for a New Millenium card, and had entered my information - but before hitting "Submit" thought (belatedly) - "maybe I should check these guys out first!" I backed out, closed the tab - enough said. I did my due diligence and found TONS of negative feedback on New Millenium and decided not to "go there".

However, within TWO hours, of submitting my information to this bank (turns out they are also the bank behind the First Option card offered on the myFico site) - I was receiving credit card spam. Not a little spam - I'm talking HUNDREDS of messages! I was appalled - I only went to this site because it was linked through myFico - and I thought they were reputable! They obviously sold my email address immediately to scammers.

I called the New Millenium Bank - no one has ever returned my calls. I called First Option (not associated with New Millenium, but having the same first name)  - and the first thing they said was "That bank is bad news. If they have any of your information, we recommend closing your bank accounts. And here's the number for the New Jersey Banking Commission and the FTC." 

Needless to say - I was shocked. This is a bank that is linked from the myFico site. 

On calling myFico - I got a massive runaround - from "it's not our responsibility what they do...", etc, etc., etc.

As of today I have over 1300 spam messages, all of them from credit card companies -  I have had to close and move ALL of my bank accounts and monitor them for unauthorized withdrawals.(First Option says they have some people that they take 99.99 dollars out PER MONTH!). I have also had to change my email address that I have had for years because of this.

My question is - why is myFico linked to such an unethical bank - and not taking responsibility for removing it from their "marketing" campaign? Do they need the money THIS badly????

Chana Campos

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

Re: 1300 Spam Messages ... from a link off the myFico site.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, CBear! We're very concerned and are seriously looking into it. I'll let you know the outcome shortly.

ETA: New Millenium Bank has been removed from the myFICO credit card offer program.

Sorry you had this experience, CBear! Smiley Sad

Message Edited by Barry on 04-14-2009 12:49 PM
Message 2 of 5
CBear
Established Member

Hi there,

I can't tell you how delighted I am that myFico is acting seriously and responsibly in this matter. It is going to save your customers SO much unnecessary aggravation, and possibly expense, as well. You have restored my faith in corporate ethics with your decision to remove this bank from your marketing program.

Seriously, thank you so much for listening and even more importantly - acting! 

"CBear"

Message 3 of 5
CBear
Established Member

Whoops. Well, almost.... :-)

One of the problems is that New Millenium Bank also uses the name "First Option" to do business. THAT card is STILL listed on the myFico credit card offers site - although New Millenium Bank is gone (thank heavens!).

However, "First Option" is also the name of a small, reputable bank in Kansas. I had contacted them (thinking they were part of  the same problem - however, they are completely unassociated with New Millenium.) They told me they get many, many calls from "all over the United States" from irate people thinking they are the same. "First Option" credit cards however, are issued by New Millenium Bank according to the banking personnel at First Option Bank of Kansas.

Thought you'd like to know...

"CBear"

Message 4 of 5
CBear
Established Member

New Millenium is now NEXT Millenium cards on myFico -

...and the cards are STILL being issued by New Millenium Bank.

I take back what I said congratulating you. Someone at myFico is NOT paying attention. First

Option is still there and so is New Millenium Bank - just under a different name!

Is myFico taking this really seriously - or not?

Chana

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.