cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't verify identity, myFICO Equifax problem, Ideas?

tag
pajaro

Can't verify identity, myFICO Equifax problem, Ideas?

After purchasing the FICO Standard- Equifax package, I got an error message saying,

"Unfortunately, we were unable to confirm your identity during your last purchase attempt. Your security is important to us, and therefore you will need to confirm your identity prior to purchasing any future myFICO® product."  

My husband got the same error after purchasing the Transunion package.

I am concerned that the problem is related to Equifax.  Earlier tonight we had requested our credit reports from annualcreditreport.com.  We both got our TU and Experian credit reports just fine.  But when we requested our Equifax reports ALL our security verification questions were about accounts we do not have.  It did not verify us.  It directed us to write in to get the reports.  We deleted the cookies from our computers and tried again.  We got different questions.  But again got only questions regarding accounts we do not have.  It is common to get one or two questions that are "trick" questions, but not all four.   (Or all 16 by the time we were done with 2 attempts each.)  I think it is highly unlikely that the accounts that we were questioned about exist on our credit reports at all. We do not have those type of accounts and nothing unusual is on our other reports.  So I do not really think it is identity theft.  We have a nearly 20 year credit history so that is not the problem either.

Any ideas what is going on? Is Equifax the problem or is it myFICO?  If we apply for a mortgage will the lender have problems verifying our identity, getting a report from Equifax or getting our FICO score?  And how long of a hold-up will we have to get the myFICO package we paid for?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Can't verify identity, myFICO Equifax problem, Ideas?

It's equifax, they did the same thing to me when I went in to dispute my current address. They're still showing my previous address as current and I think it may have messed me up on a couple of apps. But anyway they gave me a bunch of questions that have nothing to do with me and then locked me out of online disputes and said I had to do it by fax and include a copy of my id. It was probably all a waste of time too, because then I realized with my new cards reporting my address will probably update on its own.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 9
pajaro

Thanks starry1!  It helps to know you got a solution!  I will try to see if I can find a fax number to do what you did rather than send it in the mail.  I am not sure what information they have that is wrong but I hope it is something simple.  Thanks again!

Message 3 of 9
starry1
Valued Contributor

In your case I would just call. They'll serve you without too much attitude since there's a chance of selling you something.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 4 of 9
pajaro

Just want to give an update about what happened. 

I called Equifax using the business line 888-202-4025 and selected the personal information option.  I was connected to an agent very quickly.  It was a tough connection to hear on and was likely a foreign call center as many have reported elsewhere. 

I explained I was not able to get my credit report on annualcreditreport.com and that my myFICO transaction also required verification.  I provided my basic info, name, dob, ssn, and address.  I waited 1 to 2 minutes while she checked my info.  The agent informed me that they were able to verify that I had a file and that all the identifying information was accurate.  I did not have to fax or mail any materials.

The agent then asked me if I was trying to get a FICO score.  And just as starry1 said, the agent offered me their own package with all 3 credit reports and FICO score.  She asked if I wanted that before she said anything about price.  I replied that I had the 2 other credit reports already and already ordered the Equifax and FICO score on myFICO.  She asked me how much I paid.  She offered $17.95....pause.... a month.  With a bad connection it was almost easy to miss that she had said it was a monthly cost. I had already read online how difficult these can be to cancel with Equifax not to mention I needed a one-time product, not a subscription to anything.

I told her that since I had already paid for it on myFICO, I didn't need it.  I didn't need to pay twice for the same thing. She said myFICO was a third party and it was better to get it directly from Equifax.   She again gave me the prices and said that since myFICO could not verify who I was, that the credit card charge was only pending.  I told her that before I would order any services from them (which would be never!) that I would need to be sure my other transaction was canceled first.  I told her I would call back if I had any problems with getting my order from myFICO and needed their service still.  She then asked me if I was sure because she had seen several changes recently to my FICO score.  Talk about a scare tactic!  I declined again and asked her if I would have any problem getting my credit report from annualcreditreport.com.  She said no but if I did to call them back. 

I verified my identity with myFICO by phone.  The agent (who was great!) said they had to go through the questions Equifax had to identify me.  This time all the questions Equifax asked were relevant to my accounts. I got both my FICO score and my Equifax report.  Everything was accurate.  My report was great and there were no problems or inconsistencies from my other reports.  None. 

I'm following up because if someone else gets asked bogus questions by Equifax to verify identity, I want them to have the reassurance that there is likely no problem at all.  It honestly seemed to me like a scare tactic to get more sales of their products.  Don't lose any sleep over it.  I didn't buy anything from them.   Being able to warn others is a nice reward in itself for the trouble. 

And thanks again starry1!

Message 5 of 9
pajaro

Just updating that my husband was also able to get his Equifax report from myFICO just by calling the customer service line and answering the verification questions over the phone.  He did not have to call Equifax at all.  No problems with his report either.   

Message 6 of 9
Momjeanz
New Visitor

Yeah this is exactly what happened to me. All 4 questions were about accounts and amounts that I'd never even heard of, and then it wouldn't allow me to see it online. This is probably a stupid question, but when calling and getting it over the phone, is there a way in which they can fix something so that you can print it out from online? Or are you saying they just mailed you a copy? It typically wouldn't matter, I just took a day off next week to get my credit reports/scores in order (we're looking for our first house!!). I had no issues getting the other two but hoping that by next Tuesday I'll have all 3. Is that possible at this point? Or will I just have to wait til it comes in the mail? thanks! 

Brent

Message 7 of 9
pajaro

They unlock the account over the phone.  After that you should be able to go through the free annual credit report website and print out your reports.  We were able to also get our reports and scores from MyFICO after that.   Everything was done online so we didn't have anything mailed to us.  You should have no problem getting it resolved in one day.

Message 8 of 9
Momjeanz
New Visitor

Awesome thank you so much! That is good to know. I was wondering how good security is when it asks a bunch of questions that all have "none of the above" as the correct answer. Never mind where on Earth they came up with these things i "may" have. But great, thank you for responding so quickly, I was worried I'd not have everything in front of me next week. Thanks again! 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.