Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Disputes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian Disputes

I ordered the myFICO service yesterday and was pleased to get my three credit reports pretty much instantaneously. However, now that I've noticed an error on my Experian report, I cannot dispute it through myFICO or Experian, without purchasing a report directly thru Experian. Apparently you MUST have a Experian credit report number to file a dispute -- and that is not provided by myFICO (which is more costly than other credit score providers). I went from being thrilled by this service, to being frustrated and disappointed. I spoke to a customer service rep who -- in a nice way -- pretty much said sorry, you're SOL. Anyone else run into this problem?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Experian Disputes

I succeeded after buying from MyFICo.  Can't remember how though.  I think I just went to web site and did it  Smiley Sad

And for me there is no point in disputing with EX - they hate me  Smiley Sad
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MidnightVoice wrote:
I succeeded after buying from MyFICo. Can't remember how though. I think I just went to web site and did it Smiley Sad
And for me there is no point in disputing with EX - they hate me Smiley Sad

It's not just you - they hate everybody.

EX mostly just ignores collection disputes ("verified by CA", "previously investigated", etc.) until they sense you are ready to file suit.

If the dispute is about something else, there might be slightly better than a 0% chance. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

EX used to allow you get a free report online IF you were disputing something.  I think a lot of people used this as a ruse to get a free report.

Appears they've gotten wise to that, and now require you to purchase your report.

Screw that. I'm not going to pay for you to fix YOUR problem.  You can call them and argue fruitlessly for a few hours instead of doing it online.  Or you can mail them.

Of course, if you mail them, you should send it CMRRR, which will cost you about $5.  What's the cost of their report online? About $7 or $8? 

You can decide which is of more value, but having them on record as havign received your request, with a date, makes things easier down the road if you DO have to pursue other action to get them to correct things....

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I cannot even get thru to a human on the phone since I don't have an Experian report number. Do you have a mailing address for them? I wasn't able to locate one for disputes on their website. My discrepancy seems minor to me, but I just want to ensure nothing comes of it in the future.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are the addresses I used.

Equifax, Inc.
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374
1-800-685-1111
http://www.equifax.com

Experian
P.O. Box 2104
Allen, Texas 75013-2104
1-888-397-3742
http://www.experian.com

Trans Union Corporation
Consumer Disclosure Center
2 Baldwin Place
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022
1-800-888-4213
http://www.transunion.com

Good luck!!!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more thing:  If you haven't already done so, you can get ONE free report per year from freeannualcreditreport.com.  Those WILL give you a report number you can use if that's the only thing holding you up.
Message 7 of 11
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

barderspond wrote:
One more thing:  If you haven't already done so, you can get ONE free report per year from freeannualcreditreport.com.  Those WILL give you a report number you can use if that's the only thing holding you up.

But don't dispute via annualcreditreport.com

Message 8 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Yeah go get your free credit reports. Arguing with Experian is like having a fight with your wife. You can't win.
Message 9 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

smallfry wrote:
Yeah go get your free credit reports. Arguing with Experian is like having a fight with your wife. You can't win.

Ahhh Yes!  EX's arrogance is legendary.Smiley Mad
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.