Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score for Canada

tag
ineedcreditbad
Regular Contributor

FICO Score for Canada

Guys,

Any idea from where can you get all three FICO scores for Canadian residents.

Thanks

Ed
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: FICO Score for Canada

I don't believe that you can get reports and FICO scores without a US address, or at any rate, without an SSN.

If you're asking about a Canadian equivalent, or how they determine credit-worthiness, I am utterly clueless!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 9
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

ineedcreditbad wrote:
Guys,

Any idea from where can you get all three FICO scores for Canadian residents.

Thanks

Ed

Only two of the credit bureaus in Canada -- Equifax and TransUnion -- offer FICO scores.  They can be contacted at:

http://www.transunion.ca/

http://www.equifax.com/home/en_ca

Message 3 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Barry wrote:

Only two of the credit bureaus in Canada -- Equifax and TransUnion -- offer FICO scores. They can be contacted at:

http://www.transunion.ca/

http://www.equifax.com/home/en_ca

Barry, this is interesting! Are these US FICO scores for Canadian residents, or are these Canadian scores? I had always read that unless you have a US address, you can't get a FICO score.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 9
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Barry, this is interesting! Are these US FICO scores for Canadian residents, or are these Canadian scores? I had always read that unless you have a US address, you can't get a FICO score.

These are Fair Isaac-developed scores based on Canadian consumer credit bureau information that are used by lenders in Canada.  The scores are similar to US FICO scores  -- similar scoring factors, higher the score the lower the risk, etc. -- but have different ranges.

As for whether you can get a FICO score without a US address...you can, but it won't be a US FICO score, which you'll need to get credit in the US.  Does than make sense?

Message Edited by Barry on 04-21-2008 08:25 PM
Message 5 of 9
ineedcreditbad
Regular Contributor

Thanks Barry appreciate your help.

Ed
Message 6 of 9
dfpi
New Visitor

Barry,
We just expanded our education organization into Canada and there seems to be some confusion on where Canadian residents can get their Fico scores, as opposed to non-Fico scores. Are the bureaus there selling the real Fico score or does MyFico.com offer scores to Canadian residences.

Travis Mitchell
Debt Free Project International
Message 7 of 9
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

dfpi wrote:
Barry,
We just expanded our education organization into Canada and there seems to be some confusion on where Canadian residents can get their Fico scores, as opposed to non-Fico scores. Are the bureaus there selling the real Fico score or does MyFico.com offer scores to Canadian residences.

Travis Mitchell
Debt Free Project International

Hi Travis....myFICO only sells US FICO scores to consumers having US addresses.  To find out if Canadian consumers can obtain their own Canadian FICO scores, I'd suggest contacting Equifax Canada and TransUnion in Canada.  Unfortunately, I don't know if these bureaus make their FICO scores available directly to consumers, but I do know they provide FICO scores developed by Fair Isaac to Canadian lenders.  Let us know what you find out, and feel free to PM me if you're unsuccesful in your efforts, as I may be able to find out more for you.  Good luck!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a Canadian who lives in the US. Back when I lived in Canada, the procedure was basically the same as the US. Equifax.ca and for a fee it would give you your credit report and FICO score. The scoring methods and percentages per type (debt/credit, history etc) are the same as far as I know. The only difference is that the maximum FICO score is higher in Canada. And yes, you can get your FICO score as a consumer. Same as in the US.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.