cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Sucks - how do I get new scoring factors with the $25.00/month score watch?

tag
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

FICO Sucks and so does their score simulator

So the top item affecting my score was something about heavy usage of my available revolving credit.  I have $78,000 in credit lines and I had $17,800 spread across them.  Some were new cards with 0% interest for 18 months, and rest were 0% for several more years on furniture purchases.

Since I'm trying to buy a house, I reviewed the items affecting my score from all 3 credit bureaus, then ran the score simulator on FICO's website.  The following is what was displayed in the simulator in regards to the option of paying down credit card debt:

How you manage your revolving accounts (credit cards, department store credit cards, revolving lines of credit) is heavily weighted in the FICO® Score. FICO Scores evaluate your revolving accounts in a variety of ways, including comparing your balance to your available credit, as well as looking at the number of accounts with a balance. A general rule to remember: consistently carrying lower balances on revolving accounts will generate positive points for a score.

This simulation shows what could happen to your FICO Score if you pay down 6,334 of your overall credit card balance over a period of one month. The simulation took into account both your lower balances and the aging of your credit history. In general, a score will increase as credit history lengthens and consistent behavior paying down your credit card balances is demonstrated. 

(Note, even if you pay your credit cards in full each month, the balance shown on your credit report may not be $0. Instead, it will reflect your account balance as reported by the lender to the credit bureau, which is typically the balance on your latest monthly statement.)

ABOUT THE FICO® SCORE SIMULATOR

The simulator and simulated score are provided for informational purposes only and is intended to approximate the impact of various scenarios on your FICO® Score – assuming all other factors stay the same. Using this tool, you can get a better understanding of how various positive and negative actions you can take could affect your FICO Score.

Your actual score, and the impact of any action taken, results from a complex interaction of FICO's scoring methodologies and the information on your credit report, some of which changes daily. Also, please note the results of simulating different scenarios are not necessarily cumulative. In other words, simulating two different scenarios, each of which individually could raise your FICO Score by 20 points, will probably not collectively raise your FICO Score by 40 points. Information on your authorized user accounts are not considered in the FICO Score simulations.

When I ran the simulator, it said that my Trans Union score would go from 727 to 747.  Although I didn't expect an exact 20 point increase since FICO would never tell exactly how much the improvement would be, I did expect a good 10 - 15 point gain.  I think it's reasonable to expect half of what the simulator had indicated.

So, I paid down $6,334 in one month, exactly as I had indicated in the simulator.  And what do you know, my score went up 6 points.  Six points.  Not sixteen, or sixty, but SIX!

What a load of crap.  That simulator is a joke and doesn't provide anywhere NEAR the results as what actually happens.  Sure glad I used that as a resource to base my decision on to pay off over $13,000, to get to a goal score of 762.  

Looks like I should be happy if I don't LOSE 35 points after paying off all but 4.9% of my debt.

FICO sucks.

Message 11 of 70
Booboo71
Established Contributor

Re: FICO Sucks and so does their score simulator

Are you sure everything has updated with creditors? I get updates all the time because they update throughout the month. Also 6 points up is better then -6 points down! Good luck!

Message 12 of 70
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I don't think your debt (17800-6334=11466? util is 11466/78000=14.7%?) alone is responsible for your FICO score (727+6=733?).

Message 13 of 70
NRB525
Super Contributor

I'm not sure it's worth trying to explain anything because when an attitude walks into the forum, there's not much to say to change that attitude.

FICO is what it is; a complex algorithm which tries to summarize the multitude of potential credit history combinations of millions of Americans over the varying time spans of each of their lives, and you can either try to learn about all the aspects of it, while keeping an open mind to understanding the possible explanations, to take a reasoned approach to understand it, or rant. Your choice.

Cheers!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 70
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

Booboo71 wrote:

Are you sure everything has updated with creditors? I get updates all the time because they update throughout the month. Also 6 points up is better then -6 points down! Good luck!

Yes, I am 100% positive that everything has been updated with Trans Union, which is the score that I was simulating.  My Equifax score went up 15 points, Experian went up 16 points, and Trans Union went up 6 after the payoff.

Maybe I don't have my notification settings for Trans Union setup correctly (although I've looked and can't find any notification settings for any except Equifax), but the only notifcations from TU that I get specify what my total balance is for ALL of my credit cards, and I received one of those today and the amount reflected that payoff.  

Message 15 of 70
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

I choose to not accept a flawed system, as everyone on the planet should be doing.

@NRB525 wrote:

I'm not sure it's worth trying to explain anything because when an attitude walks into the forum, there's not much to say to change that attitude.

FICO is what it is; a complex algorithm which tries to summarize the multitude of potential credit history combinations of millions of Americans over the varying time spans of each of their lives, and you can either try to learn about all the aspects of it, while keeping an open mind to understanding the possible explanations, to take a reasoned approach to understand it, or rant. Your choice.

Cheers!

Message 16 of 70
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

I don't think your debt (17800-6334=11466? util is 11466/78000=14.7%?) alone is responsible for your FICO score (727+6=733?).

You're right.  Yet another reason for them lowering my score was because my balance on my non-mortgage was too high, which is another scam.  I put down $15,000 on my truck when I bought it, and have been making 0% interest payments ever since.  Even though I have tons of equity in my vehicle loan due to the huge down payment and the 0% interest payments made on the loan, they're still screwing me out of points.  What would be FAIR is if they compared the VALUE of the vehicle to the loan balance.  That would make more sense.  

Again, FICO sucks.

Message 17 of 70
AzaleaB
Established Contributor

Patience, OP. Sometimes there is a delay with significantly decreased utilization if it has a much higher % for a period of time. Somewhere FICO people talked about this, possibly, over the next couple of months, more points will come. It's often said here that FICO has no memory with respect to utilization but according to FICO staff discussion, sometimes it does for some profiles and there is a delay. 

Starting Score: EX:570, 8/2011
Current
Scores(8/30/18):
EX08:850; EQ08:850,
TU08:847
Inqs(12 mo): EX/0, EQ/0, TU/0
Goal Scores: 800+
My Cards: BoA Rewards: 30K, Discover IT: 50K, Arrival : 13.3K, CDP: 30.1K, Amex PRG, Amex ED: 22.5K, Amex BCP: 20K, FU: 21K, CSR: 35K, Amazon Store: 20K, Macys:10K, Diners Club:40K
Message 18 of 70
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

@ AzaleaB wrote:

Patience, OP. Sometimes there is a delay with significantly decreased utilization if it has a much higher % for a period of time. Somewhere FICO people talked about this, possibly, over the next couple of months, more points will come. It's often said here that FICO has no memory with respect to utilization but according to FICO staff discussion, sometimes it does for some profiles and there is a delay. 

I have no patience, and I shouldn't need to have patience.

My purchase contract on the house we just bought said that I would be pre-approved within 30 days of the contract date.

I have to apply for my mortgage within the first week of May, and I'm closing on my house on June 30. 

I don't have time for FICO to be playing games with my score.  Yes, I could get pre-approved in May and then run my credit again before closing, however each time my credit is ran they will deduct points for that.  Since I believe I would be right on the line, deducting points for running the score will be enough to prevent me from reaching the 740+ range for the best APR. 

Again, FICO sucks.

Message 19 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would give it a little more time.  I normally take the high & low number, throw those out & get a middle score which is normally what it will be.  But it does take a little time for everything to report & your score to go up.

Message 20 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.