cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Sucks - how do I get new scoring factors with the $25.00/month score watch?

tag
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: FICO Sucks - how do I get new scoring factors with the $25.00/month score watch?

@ChrisinKC wrote:
Well, I completely disagree with you.

Interest rates are completely based off your FICO score. Nothing else is used to determine interest rates.

I don't care how much or how little the things I'm complaining about affect a score. The fact is that those things should not be affecting the score even in the tiniest bit.

If the affect the score just by one lousy point, that's still enough to make someone pay thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars more in interest if their score was right on the line between tiers (739). That one point that was ridicously taken away because someone had a 0 balance on their credit card has now cost them THOUSANDS of dollars.

If you're ok with that, then you must be getting paid by FICO.

Interest rates are not determined solely by FICO scores, the amount borrowed relative to the home value is a fairly big factor as well. They are not really fixed. Each lender has their own cutoffs and ranges. FICO scores tend to matter the most when the mortgage is purchased and insured by a GSE but they are not fixed in concrete.

As for having no balance reporting on any credit card, why on Earth do you think that would have no effect on a credit score?

Not using credit cards at all, which always starts with zero balances reporting on all CC accounts for the last month, is associated with people that have a small, but increasing risk if they resume using credit. It's also associated with highly responsible people right after they lose their jobs. Most people that use CCs and PIF don't like the idea of using CCs if they suddenly lose their income. Especially if they aren't sure when they can pick up other employment. That is highly responsible behavior but it is also a risk indicator because, through no fault of their own, they might not be able to find a job before their savings run out and then have to dip into CC debt for essentials.

Now it doesn't happen often that way but it does happen. So when FICO's algorithms crank through data and see no usage of CCs in the last month they can easily estimate future (two year horizon) default risk as being slightly increased. Say from 1.7% chance to 1.9% chance for example.

Remember, credit reports do not have reliable information on employment or length of employment. They have no information on income, savings or investments. They can make correlations based on CC and other debt based spending but they are loose correlations and can only be made if the spending is done using debt related instruments like CCs or car/home loans.  There are many people (like me 10 years ago) that simply didn't use credit at all. Debit cards and checks for everything from food to my last home.  So how accurate do you think my FICO score were then?

I found this all out after trying to get credit in order to rent cars. Didn't understand the hassle using a debit card but learned CCs are proxies for "you're not going to steal the or wreck the car."  When I found out how grossly inaccurate my FICO scores were I discovered the limitations of the data at the CRAs and how the system worked. Then I worked the system.

As for working at FICO. I've never worked in the industry but I do understand logistical regression and have purchased texts on credit scoring. Fascinating area. I have also walked outside FICO headquarters. Turns out they have spectacular drought tolerant landscaping here in San Diego. Good place to get ideas if you have to deal with that ... which I do.

EtoA: I had no idea FICO had their major facility here. I was going around to 5 different addresses that a Calif. Geen Builder's Assoc. was backing that emphasized energy and water efficiency. Drove to the address and there was this giant FICO on the building. Who knew?

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 41 of 70
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

Re: FICO Sucks and so does their score simulator

@NRB525 wrote:

@ChrisinKC wrote:
FICO lied to me and said my score would go up 35 points if I paid off $13,944 in one month.

That hasn't happened. Due to that, FICO has caused me a financial loss that will never be recovered.

Look, if you want to continue to believe that FICO is good and the FICO system is there for your best interests, then I have no reason to continue talking with you, because that couldn't be further from the truth. When you tell things like they're not, I'm going to speak up because people should know how wrong of a system this is.

We are not even 48 hours into this thread, you didn't actuall pay $13k, you paid something like $6k, and were disappointed it did not result in the immediate 20 point increase. It was pointed out to you earlier that you may need to give the scoring model time to work through this change, to let it reflect after other cards report for example.

Check back after a month and see where your score is, presuming you keep the utilization dropping the score should keep climbing. That is the real trend you are looking for.

FICO is a long term scoring model. Short term changes, even resulting from a payment on one card, are noise until time has passed and allowed the algorithms to stabilize and take all the myrad factors into account.

And so while you are waiting, it would be helpful for you to list out all your cards, their CL, open balances, when each account was opened, so that responses can be made with some perspective to your actual file.

No, you're wrong.  I paid off $13,944 out of around $17,800 debt, with a total revolving credit line of $78,000.  myFico's simulator said that if I paid off $6,344 IN A SINGLE MONTH, my Trans Union score would improve by 20 points.  That didn't happen.  My score went up SIX points.  No where even freaking close to 20.  

The simulator also said that if I paid of $13,944 IN A SINGLE MONTH out of my $17,800 debt, my Trans Union score would improve by 35 points.

I paid $13,944 IN A SINGLE MONTH.  As of now, only 6,344 has been reported to Trans Union.  As of now, they have only given me SIX points.  

None of the other information that you've requested should matter.  MyFico knows all of that, the simulator should know that, and the simulator said that if I paid that amount within a single month then my scores would improve by the numbers mentioned above.  However, the ACTUAL improvement WAS NO WHERE EVEN CLOSE to what they told me.  

I'm really not sure how I could possibly make that point any more clear.

I don't have time to wait for Trans Union to make my score be what it should be.  I MUST be pre-approved for my mortgage by May 6, which is 30 days after my purchase contract was executed.  The purchase contract said that I had 30 days to be pre-qualified, or the deal can be cancelled and I'm out my non-refundable deposit.

I'm not worried about being pre-qualified as my scores are high enough to get approved, and my DTI ratio is 5%.  

My lender requires a FICO score of 740+ to get the lowest APR.  If my mid score is not 740+ by May 6th, I will be paying a higher APR.  I have one credit score already over 740, and one other that was 727, so I only needed 13 points to get to 740, which is the Trans Union score.  Again, the simulator said I'd get 35 points by paying off that debt, but they've only given me SIX, so I'm still 7 points away from 740.  As previously mentioned, I wasn't actually expecting the FULL 35 points, although I was expecting at least 13 points.  With how things have gone so far, getting 13 points doesn't seem possible, which is absolutely ridiculous considering they said I'd get 35.  What is the point of even having the simulator if it's not going to be ANYWHERE EVEN CLOSE to being correct?  Yes, I expect that the actual improvement would be at least 50% of what they told me.  Yeah, call me crazy.

When they run my score sometime between now and May 6th, they will lower my score even more due to the hard inquiry, so then there will be even a larger gap between my score and the 740+ score that I'm trying to obtain, so running my score again later (only to have even MORE points deducted) hoping for a higher score probably isn't going to work.

If I would have known that I wasn't going to be getting anywhere even close to the score improvement that the simulator had said, I would have made much different financial decisions about many things.  Unfortunately, FICO sucks and isn't required to provide a simulator where the results match exactly to the actual results.  Because of this, everyone is in the dark, out there making financial decisions without knowing ALL of the information.  

The FICO system sucks and needs to be completely changed, and be more transparent so financial decisions can be made.

Message 42 of 70
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

Re: FICO Sucks - how do I get new scoring factors with the $25.00/month score watch?

@cashnocredit wrote:

@ChrisinKC wrote:

Interest rates are completely based off your FICO score. Nothing else is used to determine interest rates.

I don't care how much or how little the things I'm complaining about affect a score. The fact is that those things should not be affecting the score even in the tiniest bit.

If the affect the score just by one lousy point, that's still enough to make someone pay thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars more in interest if their score was right on the line between tiers (739). That one point that was ridicously taken away because someone had a 0 balance on their credit card has now cost them THOUSANDS of dollars.

Interest rates are not determined solely by FICO scores, the amount borrowed relative to the home value is a fairly big factor as well. They are not really fixed. Each lender has their own cutoffs and ranges. FICO scores tend to matter the most when the mortgage is purchased and insured by a GSE but they are not fixed in concrete.

As for having no balance reporting on any credit card, why on Earth do you think that would have no effect on a credit score?

The lenders that I'm familar with require a 740+ score for the best APR, and 720 - 739 for the 2nd lowest APR, with the same down payment and on the exact same house. The FICO score tiers didn't change for me based on my down payment or the cost of the house that I bought.

Your credit score is supposed to be a measurement of the risk of potential default at a specific period of time.  If I have been making at least the minimum payment on a specific credit card for 20+ years and have never been late, and then one month I pay it off to a $0.00 balance, there should be no reason why anyone should think that I now am a greater risk of defaulting on a $0.00 balance credit card with a $0.00 minimum payment required.  If there's no payment required, how could I possibly default?  By not making a payment that isn't required?  

If your risk level of missing a FUTURE payment increases due to having a $0.00 balance, then what the heck is the purpose of paying on time every month for 20+ years when they still ding you later on?  Your payment history and large balances should be used to calculate your risk of default, but if you have $0.00 balance with 20+ years of good payment history, then your risk should be even LOWER than what it was when you had a balance because at that time you actually had a payment that COULD have been missed.  I would argue that your income SHOULD be a part of the formula as well, because $1,000 debt to me is a much larger burden to someone who makes less than me, and therefore my score should be higher and there's should be lower.

Message 43 of 70
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@ChrisinKC wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

@ChrisinKC wrote:

The lenders that I'm familar with require a 740+ score for the best APR, and 720 - 739 for the 2nd lowest APR, with the same down payment and on the exact same house. The FICO score tiers didn't change for me based on my down payment or the cost of the house that I bought.

Your credit score is supposed to be a measurement of the risk of potential default at a specific period of time.  If I have been making at least the minimum payment on a specific credit card for 20+ years and have never been late, and then one month I pay it off to a $0.00 balance, there should be no reason why anyone should think that I now am a greater risk of defaulting on a $0.00 balance credit card with a $0.00 minimum payment required.  If there's no payment required, how could I possibly default?  By not making a payment that isn't required?  

If your risk level of missing a FUTURE payment increases due to having a $0.00 balance, then what the heck is the purpose of paying on time every month for 20+ years when they still ding you later on?  Your payment history and large balances should be used to calculate your risk of default, but if you have $0.00 balance with 20+ years of good payment history, then your risk should be even LOWER than what it was when you had a balance because at that time you actually had a payment that COULD have been missed.  I would argue that your income SHOULD be a part of the formula as well, because $1,000 debt to me is a much larger burden to someone who makes less than me, and therefore my score should be higher and there's should be lower.

I thought I explained it fairly clearly but here it is again with the important parts highlighted.

--

Not using credit cards at all, which always starts with zero balances reporting on all CC accounts for the last month, is associated with people that have a small, but increasing risk if they resume using credit. It's also associated with highly responsible people right after they lose their jobs. Most people that use CCs and PIF don't like the idea of using CCs if they suddenly lose their income. Especially if they aren't sure when they can pick up other employment. That is highly responsible behavior but it is also a risk indicator because, through no fault of their own, they might not be able to find a job before their savings run out and then have to dip into CC debt for essentials.

Now it doesn't happen often that way but it does happen. So when FICO's algorithms crank through data and see no usage of CCs in the last month they can easily estimate future (two year horizon) default risk as being slightly increased. Say from 1.7% chance to 1.9% chance for example.

--

The problem occurs when people are out of work for longer than their safety net allows. Almost everyone will start dipping into CCs rather than not paying rent.

The difference between having a long credit history and a relatively short one is that the risk factor increase starts from a higher base, say 4.7% to 4.9% for someone with a clean history, moderate to low utilization but a short file. The risks deltas associated with the above scenario are similar in both groups and nudge scores lower. The person with the long history still has a significantly better score.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 44 of 70
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

@ChrisinKC wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

@ChrisinKC wrote:

I thought I explained it fairly clearly but here it is again with the important parts highlighted.

--

--

The problem occurs when people are out of work for longer than their safety net allows. Almost everyone will start dipping into CCs rather than not paying rent.

The difference between having a long credit history and a relatively short one is that the risk factor increase starts from a higher base, say 4.7% to 4.9% for someone with a clean history, moderate to low utilization but a short file. The risks deltas associated with the above scenario are similar in both groups and nudge scores lower. The person with the long history still has a significantly better score.

So again, someone who has paid on time for 20+ years I think has proved that there's very little chance that they're going to default, so for FICO to just assume that someone is going to lose their job and then assume that they'll run out of funds before finding a new job is quite irresponsible on the part of FICO.  

For some reason, I get the feeling that everyone on this forum believes that the FICO scoring system is awesome and there's no issues with it whatsoever.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how people can be so blind.

I have issues with probably every single part of FICO, so it's very hard for me to understand how others can find it to be so correct, unless they're either an employee of FICO or they're just blind.  

Just like insurance, I think FICO finds ways to manipulate numbers to work in their favor.  Actuarials look to group like people together for determining premiums, but they forget to break the group down even further by important factors that would reduce some of those people's rates.  They only use factors that would keep those people grouped together rather than using ALL available data to determine if one or some of them should be grouped separately and receive a premium discount for some reason. Obviously they're working for the insurance companies, who are in business for profit, so finding ways to reduce premiums are not high on their to-do list.  

I find FICO scoring the same way.  Instead of finding ways to increase a person's score for a multitude of reasons, they exclude those reasons from their scoring model so there's little reason to increase the score.  

All of you FICO lovers have won.  I'm done arguing so you won't need to worry about seeing my posts any more.  Congrats, and when the system doesn't work for you in the future, just remember how much you loved it and how dedicated you were to it and how much you spoke about how great of a system it is.  I think the entire system SUCKS.

Message 45 of 70
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Check your assumptions.

1. I'm not a fan of FICO. It is so dominant that financial institutions are reluctant to change. It's similar to other de facto monopolies like what was once said of IBM: "No one was ever fired for choosing IBM." I think VantageScore 3.0 is more predictive than FICO 8 because it uses the newer payment data, not just ending balances for scores. I'm not sure how it compares to FICO 9.

2. FICO is a , gasp, corporation who's goal is to produce profit by provided a service. The majority of people with low scores will be good borrowers in the future and not default. Credit scoring continues to get better and "better" means identifying more people that are not likely to default. The more consumers so identified the more banks can extend credit and that's the primary way they make money. The incentives don't align to screw people over. Quite the contrary. The rapid increase in computer power is what makes possible extracting better risk estimates from complex and highly variable individual behavior using millions of credit reports. This results in increased credit availability for most people since most people will repay their debts.

Message 46 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks to me like you should have been worrying about your scores a year ago, not 2 months ago.

Message 47 of 70
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

A year ago we had been living in our new house for roughly 6 months, and had scores of 740+.  No need to worry then, although my complaints about FICO remain even when my scores are high.

Message 48 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

I' ve read through this whole thread, and well..... Interesting.

"For some reason, I get the feeling that everyone on this forum believes that the FICO scoring system is awesome and there's no issues with it whatsoever.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how people can be so blind."

ChrisinKC, I really don't think anyone is trying to say that they *love* FICO or think its great and wonderful. I think we mostly see it as a necessary evil that we have to deal with if we want access to credit in any form. IMHO, the best way to 'deal'  with it, is obtaining as much knowlegde as possible about how it works. That doesn't necessrily mean understanding the logic of it, or even concluding that it IS logical - because there are many aspects of it that are clearly not logical, or at least are VERY counterintuitive. I continually tell people "Don't try to understand it, just figure out the RULES, so you can play the game to your advantage".

Now having said that, let me give you my advice - pick out your credit card with the highest limit. Pay off ALL the other cards. On the one with the highest limit, let it show a balance of under 10% of its limit. THAT strategy will ALWAYS put you in "max score territory" and will peak your scores within a few points.

As for your non-revolving debt - you get some points when it gets below 50% of the origninal loan amount. I would assume that its because people are less likely to walk away from an auto loan if they have paid off half of it.

Message 49 of 70
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I' ve read through this whole thread, and well..... Interesting.

"For some reason, I get the feeling that everyone on this forum believes that the FICO scoring system is awesome and there's no issues with it whatsoever.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how people can be so blind."

ChrisinKC, I really don't think anyone is trying to say that they *love* FICO or think its great and wonderful. I think we mostly see it as a necessary evil that we have to deal with if we want access to credit in any form. IMHO, the best way to 'deal'  with it, is obtaining as much knowlegde as possible about how it works. That doesn't necessrily mean understanding the logic of it, or even concluding that it IS logical - because there are many aspects of it that are clearly not logical, or at least are VERY counterintuitive. I continually tell people "Don't try to understand it, just figure out the RULES, so you can play the game to your advantage".

Now having said that, let me give you my advice - pick out your credit card with the highest limit. Pay off ALL the other cards. On the one with the highest limit, let it show a balance of under 10% of its limit. THAT strategy will ALWAYS put you in "max score territory" and will peak your scores within a few points.

As for your non-revolving debt - you get some points when it gets below 50% of the origninal loan amount. I would assume that its because people are less likely to walk away from an auto loan if they have paid off half of it.

The main issue I have with FICO is that their system is that they are "for profit", working for the banks who make more money by charging higher APR's, so they're in cahoots with the banks to ensure that consumers make the banks more money.  As soon as the banks aren't making as much money as they'd like, FICO changes the scoring algorithms to lower scores and voila, the banks start making more money again.  This is not the way a system should work.

As for the non-revolving debt, I shouldn't need to wait for my loan balance to be 50% of the original loan amount, but FICO isn't using ALL of the data that they should be using to determine my risk rate for that factor, considering that I paid $15,000 as a down payment the day I bought the truck.  The truck was around 50k, so I put down 30%.  Since I have paid at least 20% more since loan inception, I should already be getting those points.

This is my problem with FICO.  They don't take into consideration ALL of the necessary information in order to make sure that scores are correct.  If FICO were taking my down payment into consideration (which they obviously should be doing since they're trying to determine risk of default, and the chances of someone defaulting on something that they've placed a very large down payment on is MUCH lower than someone who didn't put down a single penny), my score would be higher and I'd be getting charged a lower APR on anything that I chose to finance.  But instead, my score is lower and I get charged a higher APR, which is a financial impact to me.

Message 50 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.