cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I access my two free reports/credit scores per year?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I access my two free reports/credit scores per year?

Every time I try to get a new report, they want to charge me.  I have yet to get one, so what happened to the "free" ones?  I need to check balances being reported, etc.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I access my two free reports/credit scores per year?

Try this web site and be carefull because they will still offer to take your money:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The site I provided is the official site but just to be safe you can go to the FTC.GOV site and click the link from there. Here is the link to the FTC.GOV site http://www.ftc.gov/freereports If you want to be even safer type http://www.ftc.gov/freereports into your browser because displayed URLs are not always the same as the URL it connects you to. For example you might think http://www.google.com would take you to Google but if you click it you will see that it actually goes to Yahoo. You can never be too careful when giving out you SSN. You can actually get seperate credit reports for you and your spouse so by spreading them out and alternating between you and your spouse you can keep really close tabs on your credit reports. They give you all the data for free because they are required to but they will not give you the score unless you pay.
Message 3 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Yes, this gets you your full reports.

Don't get your scores directly from the credit bureaus, though, except for Equifax. TransUnion and Experian will cheerfully sell you FAKO's when you get your reports.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

dolgre wrote:
Every time I try to get a new report, they want to charge me.  I have yet to get one, so what happened to the "free" ones?  I need to check balances being reported, etc.

Your best bet is to go with a three-bureau credit monitoring service that lets you pull all three reports (not scores!!!!!) daily. TrueCredit was wonderful, but they pretty much shut it down about 6 weeks ago --you can pull TU daily, but all three only once a month.

Try CreditSecure if you have an American Express card (from AmEx, not the Bank of America, USAA, etc versions), Chase Identity Protector, and others. Make sure that you really do get daily updates, because some seem to have changed recently.

The scores that come with three-in-one monitoring services are FAKO's! Please ignore them; they'll confuse the heck out of you.

Get scores from myFICO.
Get updated reports from the various credit monitoring services.

dolgre, have you called customer service?

Phone:
1-800-319-4433
Mon-Fri 6am to 6pm PST
Sat 7am to 4pm PST
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is also now www.creditchecktotal.com which uses the same platform as CreditSecure, but is available to everyone (whereas you have to have an Amex issued card to join CreditSecure).
Message 6 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

pparazorback wrote:
There is also now www.creditchecktotal.com which uses the same platform as CreditSecure, but is available to everyone (whereas you have to have an Amex issued card to join CreditSecure).

I also use CCT and don't mind it that much. Just ignore the scores as they are not FICO scores.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.