Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect FICO for transunion

tag
Relique
New Contributor

Incorrect FICO for transunion

I have a credit monitoring and daily pulls from eliminateidtheft and have been checking my credit report religiously every couple of days. 

It provides a fako for all three reports and my TU fako has always been higher than EQ fako due to longer positive history and more positive accounts.

I decided today to buy the one time 20 dollar reports from myFICO for both EQ and TU to see my true FICO score. I have had some negatives deleted and wanted to see the impact.

The EQ score seems to be right based on what it was a few months ago.

However, the Transunion score is somehow 104 points lower. It says that I have been late in the past month even though the report doesn't list any negative items for the past several years. I was baffled so I clicked dispute and pulled a direct report from Transunion themselves. No derogs for the last few years. This must be some sort of error.

Wanted to know if this is common? I thought this site provided a true fico score. Instead it's giving me wrong information.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Incorrect FICO for transunion

Look for any derog that updated in the past few months (well, updated in the month that is indicated in the pos/neg items listed on page 2 or 3 of your FICO report...where it says you were late x months ago). If you have a collection or CO that updated in that month, then FICO will see it as recent.

The FICO score provided on your TU FICO report is a FICO. Specifically we call it a TU98. It's used by a small number of lenders, though it isn't a commonly used FICO.

Message 2 of 5
Relique
New Contributor

By updated do you mean this line?

Status as of

Feb, 2013

If so that happens all the time on my EQ with no score drop

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you think that is bad I have been working on my credit utilization for months and finally had right where it should be - 16%.  I then went to the home mortgage broker confident in the fact the equifax fico I had pulled would be my lowest score at 740 with a transunion of 775.  Imagine my amazement when the mortgage lady told me my equifax fico was 684.  I told her I had pulled the report that morning through "my fico" and it was much higher.  She said that mortgage brokers used a fico score that was figured differently by equifax.  So much for trying to keep up with your score when everyone just uses what ever they want.  I encourage everyone to write or call the CFPB or consumer financial protection bureau and ask them to either make credit scores standardized or make them illegal all together.  Since their is no industry standards that the credit bureaus are held to when figuring out the mythical "FICO score" it is simply a tool that can be used for discrimination without anyone questioning the lender as to their motives.  

Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

If you think that is bad I have been working on my credit utilization for months and finally had right where it should be - 16%.  I then went to the home mortgage broker confident in the fact the equifax fico I had pulled would be my lowest score at 740 with a transunion of 775.  Imagine my amazement when the mortgage lady told me my equifax fico was 684.  I told her I had pulled the report that morning through "my fico" and it was much higher.  She said that mortgage brokers used a fico score that was figured differently by equifax.  So much for trying to keep up with your score when everyone just uses what ever they want.  I encourage everyone to write or call the CFPB or consumer financial protection bureau and ask them to either make credit scores standardized or make them illegal all together.  Since their is no industry standards that the credit bureaus are held to when figuring out the mythical "FICO score" it is simply a tool that can be used for discrimination without anyone questioning the lender as to their motives.  

Welcome to the forums!

While a large vast majority (I'd guess at 95%) use the same EQ FICO as on here, it's known that some mortgage lenders use alternative scoring or even non-FICO scores. Other use a FICO but they don't have to use the same version that others are using. It's totally up to the lender if they want to use a FICO or if they want to use the same FICO available on here. There's no law that forces them to use a specific scoring system, or even if they are to use scores at all.

Methodocially speaking, rule out the obvious and whatever is left over might be the truth. Make sure you are comparing Equifax for both myFICO and your lender. Make sure it was the same day as mentioned. Finally, make sure the reports are exactly alike (e.g. same balances, same accounts, no missing accts, etc as any differences can result in a score change like that. If affirmative on all 3, then you can rule out different reports or report changes. Then look at your lender's tri-merge report. Check to see the FICO version used by that lender. If the previous info points to the same reports and different scores, then the only conclusion would be that the lender used an EQ FICO that differs from myFICO. As mentioned, a vast majority use the same EQ FICO on here and that's called Beacon 5.0. However, lenders can choose to use newer or older Eq FICO versions. Look for something like Beacon 9.0 or even Beacon 9.0 Mortgage Enhanced or something along those lines. These are super rare but it's always possible.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.