cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyFico 10 Day FREE Trial - Deceiving?

tag
erincolorado
New Visitor

Re: MyFico 10 Day FREE Trial - Deceiving?

I have to echo the frustrations of other posters here.  First, I did order the free trial and when I went to cancel it - right at the deadline, I admit, and was quite  to see that the "links" to cancel weren't actually going to allow me to cancel online, they were just going to show me a phone number to call.  It was after hours for that number so I missed the opportunity to cancel in the free trial period. 

I called today to cancel, knowing I was going to loose one month's ScoreWatch fee only to find out that it was 3 months minimum.  Again, I was going to just swallow that (and check the fine print) but was very upset to have the gal on the phone tell me I *couldn't* cancel, even after paying the three months, on this phone call.  I'd have to remember to call back again.  She offered me a lower monthly charge, but I felt pressured and it all felt very suspect.  I declined to make any changes with her, called back only to have another agent also insist it was impossible to cancel.  I asked to speak to a supervisor  and after a long wait, got one on the line.  She finally did agree to cancel my account, only after all three months have been deducted and only after being rude.  I have worked customer service (phone and in person) for years and am careful not to direct my frustration at the person on the line and to acknowledge that they are doing what they are asked/told to do.  In spite of that I had three agents scold me and two insist they couldn't do something I believe they legally have to do - allow me to cancel a service after fulfilling my contract.   This is very bad service at best and possibly illegal.  I would like to cancel my account effective immediately, understanding that I've been charged one month.  I do not want to pay two more months nor have any further business with this company.

Message 41 of 48
thorice
New Contributor

What's the email address to cancel 10 day score watch?

Message 42 of 48
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

Probably the most sucessful way of getting them to cancel and charge you just for the first month is by filing a complaint with your state's attorney general office.  Otherwise, you basically agreed to thse terms when you agreed to take the free trial.

Barry

Message 43 of 48
DisBeeRidikulus
New Visitor

Luckily I've got until the 15th to sort this out, but the whole "call to cancel" thing is ridiculous. You allow us to do everythign online except that? It's clearly and obviously about catching people on the last day and charging them money. It's craven and disrespectful. The worst part is, its OBVIOUS that's what you're doing. There is simply no logical reason that I can't cancel my "Free" trial online. NONE.

Looking at previous posters, I see once they charge you, they refuse to cancel? That's got to be illegal. They can take the money, but they can't force you to keep the service on if you don't want it. So, what, if we get caught in this we're supposed to wait until when exactly? The last day of the 3 months? 24hrs before? What? That's absurd.

Just ridiculous.

Message 44 of 48
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

@DisBeeRidikulus wrote:

Luckily I've got until the 15th to sort this out, but the whole "call to cancel" thing is ridiculous. You allow us to do everythign online except that? It's clearly and obviously about catching people on the last day and charging them money. It's craven and disrespectful. The worst part is, its OBVIOUS that's what you're doing. There is simply no logical reason that I can't cancel my "Free" trial online. NONE.

Looking at previous posters, I see once they charge you, they refuse to cancel? That's got to be illegal. They can take the money, but they can't force you to keep the service on if you don't want it. So, what, if we get caught in this we're supposed to wait until when exactly? The last day of the 3 months? 24hrs before? What? That's absurd.

Just ridiculous.

IMO, myFICO, just like every other site offering a "free trial", is hoping to catch you napping and start charging you. Making it easy to cancel, i.e. online, helps defeat their objective.

With this and all "free" offers make sure to read the fine print before ordering, i.e. on myFICO's product page: *Start a free 10-day trial of Score Watch and instantly get your FICO Score and credit report. You may cancel at any time during the trial period; if you wish to continue, pay only $14.95/month (3 months minimum).

That is, if you miss the 10-day cutoff, you're stuck for 3 months at $14.95/month.  And my understanding is myFICO will do everything they can to hold you to it. It didn't used to be that way, but it apparently is now.

Message 45 of 48
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Barry wrote:

@DisBeeRidikulus wrote:

Just ridiculous.

IMO, myFICO, just like every other site offering a "free trial", is hoping to catch you napping and start charging you. Making it easy to cancel, i.e. online, helps defeat their objective.

With this and all "free" offers make sure to read the fine print before ordering, i.e. on myFICO's product page: *Start a free 10-day trial of Score Watch and instantly get your FICO Score and credit report. You may cancel at any time during the trial period; if you wish to continue, pay only $14.95/month (3 months minimum).

That is, if you miss the 10-day cutoff, you're stuck for 3 months at $14.95/month.  And my understanding is myFICO will do everything they can to hold you to it. It didn't used to be that way, but it apparently is now.

And this guy just might know a thing or two about things here!

Hiya Barry!!!!!  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 46 of 48
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

@Shogun wrote:

@Barry wrote:

@DisBeeRidikulus wrote:

Just ridiculous.

And this guy just might know a thing or two about things here!

Hiya Barry!!!!!  Smiley Happy

LOL.  Hi Shogun!  Uh yeah, I guess you could say I've been around this block a few times.  Smiley Happy

Message 47 of 48
ASU-USC
New Visitor

Same here.  Signed up for the free trial, gave my credit card information which was very unwise on my part admittedly, then went onine to cancel the next night and discovered it can't be done online.  What a set up!  Then I forgot to call the 1-800 number so the sales reps can go through the message prompts to keep me subscribed, I just got my email confirming my subscription.  Conveninetly at 10 pm at night Eastern standard time so that the call center is closed.  Very disappointing but also my mistake for not being more diligent with the details.  Just remember very few things are actually "free."  

Message 48 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.