Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyFico Customer Service should not ask for social security numbers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

MyFico Customer Service should not ask for social security numbers

Well, I just called to cancel my annual ScoreWatch product from MyFico.  My decision to do this was made back in February when Experian pulled its FICO scores from MyFico and all other publicly accessible venues.  It's a shame; otherwise I would have been happy to continue the service.

In any case -- customers who purchased monthly or annual versions of ScoreWatch can only cancel service via email or by phone.  I selected the phone option, and I was surprised that the very first question out of the customer service representative's mouth was "what is your social security number?"

This is an old school customer service setup, and an organization like MyFico should know better.  Our social security numbers are supposed to be the most private bit of information we have.  These numbers should not be available to any random customer service representative -- in my opinion they should be obfuscated from all but the most senior of supervisors.  When I state my full social security number - followed by my full address (and any other verification information that the person on the other end of the phone demands), how do I know that person isn't scribbling all the information down on a notepad and taking it home with him?  I don't.

There are a multitude of account-access and security verification options that many companies have learned to use in order to protect customer data. MyFico should be keenly aware of these options and the critical reasons that companies should use them.  I'm disappointed.

C'est la vie, I guess.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

Re: MyFico Customer Service should not ask for social security numbers

Hello JRF,

I can assure you we share your concerns over the security of our customers' personal information. Our customer service call center adheres to the strictest of security measures and our systems meet all of the necessary credit card data and other industry standards.

It's true that the customer service reps ask for a social security number as that's the quickest way to locate your myFICO account. The reason we even have your SSN is because, as most of you know, it's included on your credit report; however, SSNs and complete credit card numbers are never transmitted either internally or externally via email or regular mail.

If the customer prefers to use some other piece of identifying information the rep will be happy to locate the account using myFICO login name, email address, or first/last name.

We've never had an internal security breach and continue to ensure that it won't happen.

Barry
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just called to cancel my subcription to myfico, and I am disturbed that it is STILL your practice to identify customers by asking for full social security numbers. Customer service representatives should NEVER ask for a full social security number. This is completely appalling, and out of touch with current personal information protection practices. You may have employed the person on the other end of the phoneline, but I don't know who they are, nor what they might do with that information. I will be telling everyone I speak to avoid myfico.com until you change this practice.

Message 3 of 5
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@Barry wrote:
Hello JRF,

I can assure you we share your concerns over the security of our customers' personal information. Our customer service call center adheres to the strictest of security measures and our systems meet all of the necessary credit card data and other industry standards.

It's true that the customer service reps ask for a social security number as that's the quickest way to locate your myFICO account. The reason we even have your SSN is because, as most of you know, it's included on your credit report; however, SSNs and complete credit card numbers are never transmitted either internally or externally via email or regular mail.

If the customer prefers to use some other piece of identifying information the rep will be happy to locate the account using myFICO login name, email address, or first/last name.

We've never had an internal security breach and continue to ensure that it won't happen.

Barry

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 5
Arizona

"Our customer service call center adheres to the strictest of security measures and our systems meet all of the necessary credit card data and other industry standards." -Sure you do LOL!               

Do you only employ people of the highest integrity with college degrees who are all payed well above the federal poverty level, and are required to take at a minimum random yearly polygraphs as well as randome drug testing? I am sure you do not. In my opinion you employ common telemarketers, and after

speaking to them I would never want them knowing my social security number. Who knows how many of your workers have sold or used peoples ss numbers!

Its to bad I would like to be able to subscribe to score watch.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.