Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyFico reports and Medical info

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

MyFico reports and Medical info

I know that when a medical collection is placed on a report it is coded so that only you can see what exactly it is and everyone else who pulls your report just see "medical". My question is becuase MyFico is a Third Party am I correct in assumeing that I should not be able to see what exactly it is for? for example ...Should I be able to see that it is a collection for so and so Cancer hospital?

Thanks
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should not be able to see the name of the medical pro...

You should not be able to see the name of the medical provider, no.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your input.   I would guess that it could eith...

Thanks for your input.

I would guess that it could either be the Credit reporting agency's fault or the Collection agency not codeing the account correctly that causes this. Any thoughts on how to find out who is causing this?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CRA is required to suppress it if it's coded as medic...

The CRA is required to suppress it if it's coded as medical, so it sounds like the collection agency is misreporting.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Write a letter to the colelction agency.  The privacy act...

Write a letter to the colelction agency.  The privacy act prevent s your medical care from being a part of any public record under HIPA
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

MyFico is obtaining the report on your behalf in a way, s...

MyFico is obtaining the report on your behalf in a way, so I'm not sure you should expect this information hidden.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's kind of a weird area and the FCRA really isn't quite...

It's kind of a weird area and the FCRA really isn't quite clear about how the consumer viewing their own report through a third-party service should be treated. Nevertheless, one should operate under the assumption that it's being disclosed when it shouldn't be.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MyFico reports and Medical info

Umm, unless y'all know something I don't know, a medical collection can appear and show the provider's name.

There's nothing in FCRA that I'm aware of which addresses this.

Q: Does the HIPAA Privacy Rule prevent reporting to consumer credit reporting agencies or otherwise create any conflict with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)?

A: No. The Privacy Rule’s definition of “payment” includes disclosures to consumer reporting agencies. These disclosures, however, are limited to the following protected health information about the individual: name and address; date of birth; social security number; payment history; and account number. In addition, disclosure of the name and address of the health care provider or health plan making the report is allowed. The covered entity may perform this payment activity directly, or may carry out this function through a third party, such as a collection agency, under a business associate arrangement.

The Privacy Rule permits uses and disclosures by the covered entity or its business associate as may be required by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) or other law. Therefore, the Department does not believe there is a conflict between the Privacy Rule and legal duties imposed on data furnishers by FCRA.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Crzyamerican,

In direct answer to your question, yes, I believe a tradeline can appear on your reports showing something like "Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center".
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guess no one read the FACT Act Amendments to the FCRA?

The CRAs can't report medical names and addresses unless they're coded to obscure the provider and address.

§ 605. Requirements relating to information contained in consumer reports [15 U.S.C. §1681c]
(a)Information excluded from consumer reports. Except as authorized under subsection
(b) of this section, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report
containing any of the following items of information:
[...]
(6) The name, address, and telephone number of any medical information furnisher
that has notified the agency of its status, unless--
(A) such name, address, and telephone number are restricted or reported using
codes that do not identify, or provide information sufficient to infer, the
specific provider or the nature of such services, products, or devices to a
person other than the consumer; or
(B) the report is being provided to an insurance company for a purpose
relating to engaging in the business of insurance other than property and
casualty insurance.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.