Valued Member

Name Change?

Last month I ordered Equifax and Experian through myFICO and TransUnion from their site and my first name was spelled correctly on all three. This month I ordered all three reports through myFICO and suddenly both my Equifax and TransUnion reports have my first name misspelled. Didn't really bother much until I went to file an Equifax dispute and couldn't because of misspelled first name. Now I have to provide a host of documents proving who I am. I checked my profile here and my first name is spelled correctly. How does this happen? Who enters our names on the credit reports?

Moderator Emeritus

Re: Name Change?

Somewhere along the way a creditor you applied for and/or an account was opened via a new creditor which had your name incorrectly misspelled. I'm largely out of the credit loop but I remember back in the day your full EX report from Experian.com (or annualcreditreport) will show identifier numbers next to each credit account and inquiry. It also showed identifier numbers next to each name variation. With that info you can pair up which creditor botched your name. 

Valued Member

Re: Name Change?

Thanks for your response llecs, didn't see any of the identifiers on my EX reports I ordered from experian.com. Time to start fax'n info :smileyfrustrated:

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.