Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New address alert sent but no new address found in reports

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New address alert sent but no new address found in reports

I'm a long time subscriber to monitoring at myFico in one form or another, right now just Quarterly Monitoring. This evening I got the following alert:

"New information has been detected in your identity information. Go to your alerts [this was a live link but I deleted that here] and check this recent activity for ID theft." I went to my alerts page and found the following message as the only new identity information: "New address detected: [followed by a completely unfamiliar address in my metropolitan area]."

When I clicked the link beside the address information to see what to do, the recommended action if the address was unfamiliar to you was to buy your credit reports to track down any threats to your identity. So I bought first one, then another credit report. Neither had anything out of the ordinary about them, no new addresses at all, certainly not the one listed in the alert, no new accounts or recent inquiries. There was a recent unexplained drop of a few points in my TU score, but none in EQ, otherwise, nothing at all. I just spent $32 and a couple of hours of worry, and I'm nowhere ahead of where I was. The recommendation if you found nothing wrong in the credit reports was to do nothing further

But that doesn't feel right. Am I supposed to assume myFICO just made an error and no one really reported this address in connection with my credit records? If so, how could they make an error like that? If someone else erroneously reported the address to a CRA, why is it not in one of my credit reports where I could follow up on it? Surely myFICO had some basis for associating the address with me, so how do I track that down?

I sent a message to customer service, but I don't really expect a personal answer. It's very worrisome for it to be suggested that someone used a different address in connection with your credit - for that seemed to be the implication - but to have no way to get even a hint of what to do about it? I have identity theft protection from AMEX, but I can't really call them and give them this as a lead; it doesn't really amount to much now does it? So what would trigger an alert like that?

Right now I'm just out $32 and two hours and still uneasy with nowhere to go with it. What's the point of having Quarterly Monitoring if I get false alarms and deadends for my trouble? My credit is important enough to me to keep an eye on it, but what does that amount to in these circumstances? Am I being appropriately vigilant in wanting to follow up or overly fussy about what was likely an error? And if so, where did the error occur, and how can I get any clue about it?

The first message was, "Be very worried because of this specific thing." Now it's "Nevermind" but without any explanation of why that specific thing is not a problem. It's sort of hard to just forget it without an explanation.  

trulyb

TU 783 EQ 794 12/17/2009

Message Edited by trulyb on 12-17-2009 10:00 PM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New address alert sent but no new address found in reports

I just spoke with Customer Service, and the representative was very helpful. She told me that there has been some sort of bug with Quarterly Monitoring in the last day or so, and some Alerts have gone out that are duplicates or false alarms or otherwise have some problems. They are working on the issues. Given that there is nothing in my credit reports that suggests a problem, she assured me that the alert must have simply been a result of this bug.

If there had been a SSN issue, further action would be required - so I think Mike who posted below about an alert from Quarterly Monitoring for an individual with his name, SSN and a different address - where the person did not show up in his credit reports - will need to look further at his problems with Customer Service. [Mike posted here, but his post was moved to General Credit Issues.] I was not in this boat fortunately, no SSN issue, so my problem doesn't need any further action.

For me, she did refund the cost of my TU credit report by just canceling the request, given that I otherwise had no need for the report. She couldn't do that with the EQ report, but I was pleased that she did refund at least the cost of one report that I was out of pocket because of this alert. I'm pleased that she thought of this on her own before I had to ask for it. Good customer relations move on her part. All in all, I thought it was a good, honest response to a problem, and I'm satisfied with it.

trulyb

783 TU 794 EQ    12/17/2009

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New address alert sent but no new address found in reports

I meant to say that Mike was given an identity alert with information on a person with his name but a different SSN and a different address. Just the same name. The question he would have is why he was given the information at all since it's legitimate for someone to have the same name as you, but their own SSN and address. The person didn't show up in his credit reports, so the association of the person with him may also be a match up bug with Quarterly Report, but since a SSN was shown, it would seem worth going another step or two to be sure.

Just to be clear....

trulyb

783 TU 794 EQ    12/17/2009
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.