Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here...which product to pick??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New here...which product to pick??

Hi there everyone!

I have been lurking on the forums and paying down my husband's debt (well, I guess its mine, too, since we got married!). I just paid off all the credit cards yesterday - FINALLY!! All that's left is about $50.00 on an installment loan (wedding rings), and my hubby's $20k student loan, which will kick in during January 09. I'm worndering what myfico product would be best for us, so I am including a bit more about us below, if will help you make a suggestion.

Now that the debt is gone, we have about $5k saved, and we'd like to save a little more to buy a home (thinking FHA  - start looking in June, maybe, when the market will potentially bottom out) and start planning for a family. My hubby is a Mercedes car salesman - a good one as he leads the store in cars sold for the last year.  - though the economy obviously is having an effect. That is, "most cars sold by a salesman per month" used to be 12-15...now it might be 8. My hubby's credit score is 686.

I have no idea what my score is, but I know my file looked bad. I maxed out a card with a $250 limit due to a travel emergency when I was about 20 (7 years ago), then lost my job. So, I know I have 30,60,90,120 day lates, but they should be off my report very soon. I got a $8300 Discover @ 7.99% in April 08, and a $4400 Chase in Sept 08 @ 0% til Aug 09, then it jumps to 6.99%. I always pay more than minimum or pay in full each month (depends on how many cars got sold!). Now that my hubby's cards are paid off, I'm planning on rotating use and paying in full each month to keep a low utilization reported.

We're up for our free annual reports this month, so I was planning on getting those, and disputing/goodwilling to get them looking better. I am not sure which myfico product would be best for us. Any suggestions as to product or thoughts on our plans are most welcome.

Thanks!

Message Edited by Leilani7 on 11-12-2008 01:02 PM
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New here...which product to pick??

Leilani7 wrote:

In the absence of any replies, I went with ID protection through my Chase card, which will allow me to pull all 3 reports each month @ $11.99/month. If there's something better out there, let me know!

The ID protection in also includes scoring and monitoring, but is this reliable??? If not, what product is best (and where is it cheapest)?

Thanks!

I hear that Chase ID protect is good for monitoring, but ignore the scores. They do not offer FICO scores, only a fake score.

However, most of us here subscribe to a credit monitoring service like Chase ID Protect or TrueCredit. Whenever we see a major change, then we'll pull our scores from here to see the score change.

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the absence of any replies, I went with ID protection through my Chase card, which will allow me to pull all 3 reports each month @ $11.99/month. If there's something better out there, let me know!

The ID protection in also includes scoring and monitoring, but is this reliable??? If not, what product is best (and where is it cheapest)?

Thanks!

Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Leilani7 wrote:

Thanks!

I hear that Chase ID protect is good for monitoring, but ignore the scores. They do not offer FICO scores, only a fake score.

However, most of us here subscribe to a credit monitoring service like Chase ID Protect or TrueCredit. Whenever we see a major change, then we'll pull our scores from here to see the score change.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I just checked today and saw that Chase charged me twice, so I fired off a letter demanding a refund. Sigh. I had previously tried Discover ($7.99), but they never charged me and I never received the service in spite of numerous calls.

So far, sw (I'm using the free trial) seems to be fine, so I might just stick with that if the cc can't keep it straight.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.