Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Watch - why doesn't it work?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score Watch - why doesn't it work?

Score Watch seems like a scam to me.  The only time my score has updated has been when I "spent" a Power Score.  I have seen other comments here about the same issue.  I have followed the advice about where to set the score threshhold, but it is apparently broken.  How can they continue to sell a product that doesn't work? 

I purchased the product, because I saw value in it, much like this community.  I guess I'll alert the Better Business Bureau and the other consumer watchdog groups on the web.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

Re: Score Watch - why doesn't it work?

My score watch is a bit wonky at times. I have gotten email alerts in the past and then there have been a couple times when score watch didn't send me any alerts when my score changed and I set it to alert me every time my scores change by just 1. Perhaps it's still a work-in-progress and all of the kinks haven't been ironed out yet?

I'm not ready to give up on it yet, I just wish that it worked most of the time instead of just the few times that it did. 

Message Edited by FicoScore626 on 11-03-2009 11:13 AM
Message 2 of 15
tray
Valued Contributor

Are all your alert perferences in place, also if you do have your alerts set for instance if your target score goal score is set for a high score you will not recieve a score alert until the goal is met so I keep mine on a low goal score and increase it slowly to get my score watch alerts  also it will instantly alert you when your credit score has droppedSmiley Mad ( score watch has no problem to report then) as it hits in a different score band for instance say your credit score was in the 700's then it decreased to 600's you should recieve an alert. If still problems call Equifax 

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score Watch seems to work for me though it's a bit slow.  For instance I had a new inquiry on Monday and haven't received an alert as of yet.  However, I did receive an alert yesteday on my American Express Credit Secure. 
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your input everyone.

@tray wrote:
Are all your alert perferences in place, also if you do have your alerts set for instance if your target score goal score is set for a high score you will not recieve a score alert until the goal is met so I keep mine on a low goal score and increase it slowly to get my score watch alerts  also it will instantly alert you when your credit score has droppedSmiley Mad ( score watch has no problem to report then) as it hits in a different score band for instance say your credit score was in the 700's then it decreased to 600's you should recieve an alert. If still problems call Equifax 

I set the alert score to be one point above the actual score.  Last week the score grew by 2 points and it did not show up in SW until I used a PS. 

This matters to me because in August, my beautiful wife totaled my car.  Afterwards, I learned that my credit score had dropped from 702 in November 2008 to a lowly 610.  The reason - high utilization and too many accounts with balances (16).  In the beginning of October, I paid off $10,000 -all but two Visas and an installment loan.  My score has been creeping back up as these 0 balance TLs are reported.  My score is now 644 and only some of the smaller accounts have been updated. 

In the meantime, I am driving my wife's mini van and watching my score very closely.  I have the new car picked out, it is sitting on the lot, the dealer is aware of my situation and as soon as the score is workable I am ready to make a deal.  I have a great payment history, with no late payments or collection (ever), so I should be good to go once all the TLs are reported. 

When I purchased Score Watch, I really expected it to work, thereby, lessening my anxiety over the situation.  Unfortunately, it has increased the anxiety a little.

Message 5 of 15
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

kabong wrote:

Score Watch seems like a scam to me.  The only time my score has updated has been when I "spent" a Power Score.  I have seen other comments here about the same issue.  I have followed the advice about where to set the score threshhold, but it is apparently broken.  How can they continue to sell a product that doesn't work? 

I purchased the product, because I saw value in it, much like this community.  I guess I'll alert the Better Business Bureau and the other consumer watchdog groups on the web.

Sorry, kabong, but your claim that the only time SW alerted you to a score change was when you ordered an EQ report isn't correct. It appears you were sent a score change alert on 10/19/09, stating your score had exceed the target.

Also, keep in mind that score changes are monitored weekly, not daily, so it's hard to know just when your score changed most recently. So, for example, if you pull a report today your score could have just changed a few days ago and given a few more days you would have been sent an alert. I'm not saying this is always the case, but rather pointing out that what you're describing doesn't necessarily mean SW didn't alert you properly.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barry, I appreciate your involvement.    

However, I have only received one alert from Score Watch.  It came on October 20, 2009 informing me of a 27 point increase.  My score increased last week and I DID NOT receive an alert.  I only know that my score increased because I pulled a Power Score.  So, even if it is monitored weekly as you state, and I have no reason not to believe you, I still have not received an alert since October 20th.  I do not think it is fair that I have to pay $10.95 to get an update.  Do you?

Message 7 of 15
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

kabong wrote:

Barry, I appreciate your involvement.    

However, I have only received one alert from Score Watch.  It came on October 20, 2009 informing me of a 27 point increase.  My score increased last week and I DID NOT receive an alert.  I only know that my score increased because I pulled a Power Score.  So, even if it is monitored weekly as you state, and I have no reason not to believe you, I still have not received an alert since October 20th.  I do not think it is fair that I have to pay $10.95 to get an update.  Do you?

One thing about the alert process that I wish was different is that once you pull a new report showing a score increase, that report is considered your alert and you won't then receive one. This makes it hard to know if you would have received one anyway.

I only brought up the fact that you received a score change alert recently as a way of pointing out that, while I can't say that SW works perfectly for everyone all the time, it has worked for you recently. And as for it being fair or not to pay for a score update, while I do see your point, myFICO has to pay EQ for every one of these reports so charging for them is pretty much a necessity.

I have added a couple of free reports to your subscription as a courtesy, though, and would suggest the following as a test of SW: pull one report immediately and set your target score to that score. Then don't pull another EQ report for a month (or longer), while waiting to see if you get a score change alert during that time. Of course, your score may not actually change -- for example, mine hasn't moved since Auguest -- but giving it at least a month should be a good test of SW. Then let us know what happens. Or, if you don't want to do this, enjoy your free updates. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barry, I will do as you say and see what happens.  Thank you for helping.  

_____________________________________________________________________________________ 

Barry wrote: 

One thing about the alert process that I wish was different is that once you pull a new report showing a score increase, that report is considered your alert and you won't then receive one. This makes it hard to know if you would have received one anyway. 

______________________________________________________________________________________

The score did not increase until I pulled the report.  I guess it could have been a coincidence.  Maybe I pulled my report at the same time as MyFico.  Let's drop it for now and I'll follow your suggestions.  Thanks again.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just pulled the Power Score and it has increased another 33 points since the last one I pulled 9 days ago.  I am not trying to beat a dead horse here, but it seems like I should have received a Score Watch alert since it's been over a week since the last. 
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.