Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ScoreWatch a ripoff?

tag
MandyLee
Established Member

ScoreWatch a ripoff?

I have not had an alert in over a month, and in that month half a dozen alerts should have been sent to me. I've checked my email and this site, nothing! I'm pretty p.o.ed that they happily accept my payment but they can't deliver on the product. Is there a number to call? (I think the service is great, and I don't want to cancel, but I need the service to actually exist.)
Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: ScoreWatch a ripoff?

I find that SW only, for me anyway, catches about 20% of what has been going on. I still rely on sites like TC to help fill in the gaps. And likewise, TC only catches about 20%. I pull each FICO report twice a month and TC 6-10x per month in order to get that clear picture. And no, it's not a ripoff. While 20% is a failing grade on any scale, I don't think there is anything better out there for credit monitoring.
Message 2 of 46
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Dw and I both got alerts today.  Our setting are at the absolute finest they can be, so we get alerts when certain things happen even if there is no score change.

SW does not send alerts for balance DECREASES.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just ran my Score Power and got a 10+ on my score. However, Scorewatch has not shown/sent any alert. $10 a month is probably too good to be true and we get what we pay for... On the other hand, I heard TC will close your account if you pull too many reports. Isn't there a place that you could pull scores weekly or twice a month with good results?
Message 4 of 46
MandyLee
Established Member

When I pay for something, I expect to get it. I'm done.
Message 5 of 46
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Like MidnightVoice mentioned, have you tried to change the settings? I went back in and noticed may alert settings were the same when I first registed. For example, I told SW to alert me when my score reaches 550. I never would have received anything because my score is in the 600 club!
Message 6 of 46
cantretire
Contributor

llecs wrote:
I find that SW only, for me anyway, catches about 20% of what has been going on. I still rely on sites like TC to help fill in the gaps. And likewise, TC only catches about 20%. I pull each FICO report twice a month and TC 6-10x per month in order to get that clear picture. And no, it's not a ripoff. While 20% is a failing grade on any scale, I don't think there is anything better out there for credit monitoring.

Isn't that REALLY expensive?  Or do you use another product?
Message 7 of 46
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

cantretire wrote:

llecs wrote:

Isn't that REALLY expensive?  Or do you use another product?

It is expensive if I don't back these pulls with a plan of action in cleaning up each report. I use a discount code but if I continue pulling at this rate, then the annual cost is around $900. Yikes! It sounds like a lot of money....

However, it costs more money not to pull the reports. Let me explain...

I did not care about credit prior to this past August. I didn't use any CCs, I used cash, and the only thing on my (our) reports were two car notes, therefore our scores were low without the experience. The first one was for a car at a rate at 12%!!! Ouch. Two years later, we bought another car and didn't really care AND didn't learn our lesson the first time and signed on a 19.9% loan (NOT a typo)!!

Here's why it is cheaper to pull reports and back it with action....Had I studied the reports and backed it up with action, then maybe I could have received a moderate 8% on those notes. Based on that, I could have saved about $1,771 in interest on the first car and $10,505 in interest on the second car loan!!!!!!! "Could have" are the operative words. I didn't save anything and failed to prep my credit before I signed the papers. I went in blind, uneducated, and unaware.

This is probably the biggest single thing affecting people in today's economy. People are giddy on the prospect of buying a new home, but unfortunately they are charging in full speed without any forethought on their credit situation. Had I not found these forums, SW, and MyFICO last summer, I would be one of those within the course of a year from now. My scores were in the mid-500s. and based on FICO's mortgage projections, I would have qualified, if lucky, for 10.2% home 30-year fixed loan. Based on my scores today, and all things being equal, we would qualify for around 6.6%. Now I know these figures are guesstimates, but that is a 3.6% difference. That's a difference of $127,000 in interest on a 30 yr note for 200k!!!

It was a no-brainer for me; $900 in pulls twice a month was a whole lot cheaper than the consequence. I also have to say that it is a waste of money if you pull and don't back it up with action. It is also not necessary, IMO, to pull this frequent if you don't have anything happening credit-wise in the next 1-2 yrs.

Message Edited by llecs on 02-14-2008 04:32 PM
Message 8 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

My equifax scores went from 636 to 646 to 687 since I signed up for ScoreWatch. Guess how many alerts and how many times SW updated my score? Zero. By the way, I'm on day 23 on my trial and haven't received a cancellation email. I should be careful here b/c I don't know if I'll get the cancellation email. /sigh

Message Edited by noodlesama on 02-17-2008 11:06 AM
Message 9 of 46
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
My equifax scores went from 636 to 646 to 687 since I signed up for ScoreWatch. Guess how many alerts and how many times SW updated my score? Zero. By the way, I'm on day 23 on my trial and haven't received a cancellation email. I should be careful here b/c I don't know if I'll get the cancellation email. /sigh>

What do you have as your target score? As bizarre as this seems, set it to your current score. This makes no sense to me whatsoever, but it works.

Once I did this, and set the other alerts to the most sensitive settings, I started getting alerts all the time. HTH
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.