cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scorewatch - score drops due to balance increase on a card that I don't have?

tag
m_jonis
Contributor

Scorewatch - score drops due to balance increase on a card that I don't have?

I got a scorewatch today supposedly about an Amex card that went from a $0 balance to a $382 balance.  It lists the last 4 or 5 digits of the card.

1)  I have no Amex that has a balance of that

2)  I have no Amex that ends with those digits

Is this something I have to contact MyFico about?  Or do I have to pay to get a copy of the Equifax report and then dispute something there? 

Finally made it to 813
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Scorewatch - score drops due to balance increase on a card that I don't have?

I would pull your EQ to be safe. You can get it for about $10 or so from EQ, or for free via annualcreditreport.com or for free if you have been denied credit via EQ within the past 60 days.

Look at the reported digits and make sure those same numbers are not on your Amex card (just in case the say ending in XXXX, maybe it began with XXXX) and I think Amex reports the balance from the previous month (they report behind).

MyFICO is reporting what it sees on EQ via SW. Pull EQ and look around.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Scorewatch - score drops due to balance increase on a card that I don't have?

Amex does not report the actual account number, but a differently coded number from their internal system.  You will never see the actual digits on your Amex card reported to your CR.

Ignoring the account number, and accounting for the fact that Amex reports the statement balance one month behind, do you have an Amex that this tradeline could be representing?  Is everything else about it reporting accurately?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.