Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: you're only renting the reports you bought

tag
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

Warning: you're only renting the reports you bought

Hey, did you know that when you pay $60 for your three-bureau report from here, you're actually only RENTING that information for 30 days, after which time they vanish, leaving you with nothing for your money if you didn't have the foresight to save them as a PDF? I sure didn't. On close inspection, the 30-day window is mentioned in fine print on the product comparison page, but there's no warning when you actually buy the thing. When you pay that much money for something, you would assume that it's now your property, right? You kinda expect to have permanent access to it for comparison purposes.

This is sleazy. Downright sleazy. There is no freaking way that I'm going to pay more money for something that I BOUGHT in May.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Warning: you're only renting the reports you bought

There should be something in BOLD print to make you aware. 

I totally get your frustration!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not unique. In the past I was a member of EQ, EX and TU. All three gave me the thirty day deal and the report disappeared.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue you speak of extends far beyond just myFICO. It applies to many products, such as music, ebooks, movies etc. One doesn't truly "possess" much of anything in the current cloud computing realm in which data can be here today and gone tomorrow; silently modified without one knowing...

For one seeking long-term possession, it's necessary to save one or more copies (ie. locally to one's computer and to an on-line backup service) that's outside the control by of the app / service (to avoid retroactive product deletions, such as occurred with Amazon and ebook 1984), and can be accessed via a 3rd party program.

While I'm digressing a bit, I bring all that up, because many cardholders run into problems with e-statements that many credit card companies tout as so convenient, etc that are often only available for 24 months, and worse sometimes disappear far sooner, such as if one's card account is suspended or closed.

In short, while it's understandable to be upset at myFICO, it's a good practice to always save local copies. In the longrun, one is better off doing so than trusting the cloud.

Message 4 of 6
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

I have the Fico Identity Ultimate subscription that does the monitoring and all. I guess that's why all I've gotten since last year are still sitting there and all are fully accessible, for now @ least who knows if or when it will change.

I know it's not the same thing OP was talking about but just wanted to throw the info out there.Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

They seem to be accessible indefinitely IF you're also renting their less-than-stellar monitoring service. I was subscribed to one of their monitoring tiers until recently, and the reports I bought last summer were viewable until just after I cancelled. Now, my dashboard is blank; both sets of reports I bought have vanished into the ether.

I'll say it again: $60 is NOT a price you associate with a piddling 30-day rental period. That's an amount you pay to OWN something. I paid for my information, and I want that information. It's not complicated.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.