cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myFICO.. worth the money?

tag
bookedirl

myFICO.. worth the money?

I'm new to myFICO and currently I use CHASE Identity Monitor (which apparently is not a FICO scoring system.) It offers 24+1minute Pulls for 12.95/mo. Now from what I'm getting from myFICO is that it costs about $15 per credit report you pull from each of the 3 CRAs. So If I wanted to get an updated report from all 3 CRAs I would need to spend roughly $45/mo ($540/yr). As opposed to using CHASE Identity monitor which is only $12.95/mo with basically UNLIMITED credit pulls. What exactly is the difference? If most are having problems paying their bills and are trying to build up their credit, why are you spending $540/yr or the $15 per pull when you could be using that money to pay off your bills? Now I'm not trying to say myFICO isn't a useful tool because it is.. I just don't see how you justify spending the money on it. I mean I see you can get a $42something/annual subscription... does that allow you to get 1 report from each of the 3 CRA's monthly? Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm trying to understand this all. Thanks, Jeff
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: myFICO.. worth the money?

I understand the few dollar discount for annual subscription to be one CR from each bureau per year...  Basically what you get for free at annualcreditreport.com except it comes with FICO scores.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Scamp
Valued Contributor

bookedirl wrote:
I'm new to myFICO and currently I use CHASE Identity Monitor (which apparently is not a FICO scoring system.) It offers 24+1minute Pulls for 12.95/mo. Now from what I'm getting from myFICO is that it costs about $15 per credit report you pull from each of the 3 CRAs. So If I wanted to get an updated report from all 3 CRAs I would need to spend roughly $45/mo ($540/yr). As opposed to using CHASE Identity monitor which is only $12.95/mo with basically UNLIMITED credit pulls. What exactly is the difference? If most are having problems paying their bills and are trying to build up their credit, why are you spending $540/yr or the $15 per pull when you could be using that money to pay off your bills? Now I'm not trying to say myFICO isn't a useful tool because it is.. I just don't see how you justify spending the money on it. I mean I see you can get a $42something/annual subscription... does that allow you to get 1 report from each of the 3 CRA's monthly? Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm trying to understand this all. Thanks, Jeff

Booked, welcome aboard! Smiley Happy

As I understand it, the annual subscription thing is a once-a-year pull of all three credit reports and all three scores, at a price slightly discounted from buying each report/score package individually.

You're right - buying all 3 reports and scores on here each month is expensive and usually not the best bet for those of us trying to rebuild or just on a tight budget.

From what I've read, a lot of members use a combination of something like your Chase product to do the report monitoring part of things, as that's a very economical way to keep an eye on your reports, track activity, etc., while ignoring the FAKO scores (myFICO is the only place you can buy real FICO scores) that come with those products (though I'm able to use mine to guesstimate what my real FICO scores probably are, to within a few points).

They only pay for myFICO reports and real FICO scores on here when they really need to know what their scores are (say, just before apping for a mortgage), or when something unexpected on the reports they get elsewhere tells them something might be wrong, and they need to check their scores.  This saves them a lot of money while still giving them a pretty good idea on a consistent basis of where they stand, score-wise.

Hope this helps.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 3 of 5
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

scapegrace13 wrote:

(myFICO is the only place you can buy real FICO scores) 

You can buy FICO scores for each CRA from their respective companies, but myFICO is the only place you can buy all three FICO scores in one place.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Scamp
Valued Contributor

thrasher865 wrote:

You can buy FICO scores for each CRA from their respective companies

The scores gotten directly from the CRA's are FAKO's. 

myFICO is the only place you can buy real FICO scores!

Message Edited by scapegrace13 on 06-10-2008 07:37 PM

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.