Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"MYFICO" evaluations of my Credit Report

tag
jackg
Established Contributor

"MYFICO" evaluations of my Credit Report

I am somewhat confused and don't even know how to contact MYFICO to ask for help. I ordered my scores today, the 8th time since 5/3/07, and as I was reviewing my Experian report I noticed the following: under the heading "Understanding your FICO score" it says that on the negative side of my credit report I have "A SHORT CREDIT HISTORY". Next, I looked at the heading "Credit-at-a-Glance" where it lists my "CREDIT HISTORY: 19 YEARS." This is a short credit history? In who's opinion?

So, what I would like to know is, 1. Who is responsible for putting this information in this report, it certainly isn't Experian. 2. It's not logical, is this what I'm giving them money for? 3. Who, at MYFICO, can I contact to discuss these inconsistencies because this is not the only example.

I want my money back!
FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "MYFICO" evaluations of my Credit Report

@jackg wrote:
I am somewhat confused and don't even know how to contact MYFICO to ask for help. I ordered my scores today, the 8th time since 5/3/07, and as I was reviewing my Experian report I noticed the following: under the heading "Understanding your FICO score" it says that on the negative side of my credit report I have "A SHORT CREDIT HISTORY". Next, I looked at the heading "Credit-at-a-Glance" where it lists my "CREDIT HISTORY: 19 YEARS." This is a short credit history? In who's opinion?
So, what I would like to know is, 1. Who is responsible for putting this information in this report, it certainly isn't Experian. 2. It's not logical, is this what I'm giving them money for? 3. Who, at MYFICO, can I contact to discuss these inconsistencies because this is not the only example.
I want my money back!

The positive and negative comments posted on the credit report originate with the CRA and are passed on by MyFico. The CRAs feel obligated to post X number of comments, even if those comments really don't apply. The comments are generated automatically. For example, if your utilization is better than 99% of other people, and your credit mix is better than 98% of other people, and your history is longer than 97% of other people, a comment such as "short credit history" might be generated because your history is a tiny bit less impressive than the other aspects. The higher your score gets, the more ludicrous the comments become. In reality, the report should say something like "you're so close to perfect, there isn't much more you can improve".

Some comments refer to aspects of your credit that are obvious, such as pointing out your utilization is too high when your cards are all maxed-out. Any other comments are best ignored. If you really want to know how to improve your score, the best thing to do is post a summary of your credit profile and ask others in the forum to offer specific suggestions.
Message 2 of 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I find exactly the same message with EX, even though TU and EQ consider that aspect "great".  But it is possible to get to a point where TU says:

What’s hurting your FICO score

Because your FICO score is exceptionally high, there are no actionable negative factors present with your score. Continue to manage your credit as you currently are doing to maintain your very high FICO score.

1. There are no negative reasons significantly affecting your FICO Score.

Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 08-03-2007 07:21 AM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 8
jackg
Established Contributor

Thanks MV and REVIKE for the responses, I guess I was a bit irritated yesterday because MYFICO promotes the heck out of their FICO score simulater and how if you take their advice from the recommendations they give by using this tool you will improve your FICO score. So, as I said yesterday, they said I had short credit history when in fact it,s own report says "19 years". Their recommendations are not logical and in fact are useless. So why am I paying cash'ola for something that's useless. Oh well' it's just me.

Message Edited by jackg on 08-03-2007 11:10 AM
FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bear in mind that there are two yardsticks that your credit history is measured by: your oldest account, and the average age of your accounts. These two measures can conflict insofar as their effect on your credit score is concerned.

Say that you opened a credit card back in 1991. You were content with that one card lo these many years, so until recently you didn't open any more. Your oldest account would then be 16 years old, which is rather favorable.

However, in the past year or so, you opened five credit cards and got a car loan. This would make your average age of accounts (16+1+1+1+1+1+1)/7, which is 3.14 years. So you would then have a very favorable length of credit history by the "oldest account" yardstick, but a moderately unfavorable length of credit history when measured by the "average age of accounts" yardstick. So this may be the reason why the myFICO analysis seemed to be blowing hot and cold at the same time.
Message 5 of 8
jackg
Established Contributor

Hi TNWM,

Thanks for your response, and, I have to fess up to the fact that I did forget the situation you described and I'm glad you reminded me.
This FICO scoring has a way of frustrating me because results of my efforts to clean up my credit report are not identifiable or timely in showing up. Can you tell that I'm inpatient? I want results before I do the work.

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the world of credit reporting.  What a wonderful business model.  The credit agencies charge the creditors to put their information in and then they charge other potential creditors to get the information out!  So, basically, they don't pay for their inventory, they charge for it and then charge to sell it along with any other services they possibly can.

MyFico is  a good place to go to get your credit report as it is the model that most of the home mortgage industry uses to calculate your credit score.  I suggest you hit your local library or you local bookstore and read 3-4 books on credit.  Only then will you get the big picture. 

There are a lot of dirty little tricks in this game.  Once you learn the game you can come out ahead.  One of the latest is that you get a new card with a limit of $1000.  YOu use $500 and the credit company only reports to Equifax, Experian and Transunion that you have a $500 limit.  Since this shows that you are maxed out on your credit limit it lowers your credit score significantly.  If you read the fine print on that new credit card it states that they have the right to increase your credit rate if your score goes down!   Also, know that if you've had your rate hiked, paid down your debt and automatically expect them to lower your interst don't hold your breath.  You get to call and argue with them, only then will they lower the rate.  It automatically goes up, it never goes down unless you request a rate review. 

Like I said, read, read, read.  It's a silly game and there are ways around all the nonsense.  You just have to know the rules. As for the comments that your trade lines were too new it may be due to something recent.  Most of those comments are standard and computer spit out.  There is a model and certain things trigger those comments.  The comments don't seem to have much to do with your credit scores.  The most important things are having three current trade lines, that they have no late pays for 24 months, and that your credit is preferably less than 30% of what is available.  If you get a new card make sure they report the limit correctly. 

If you're buying a home, look into the FHA products, they've been streamlined and are much easier than before, also, they don't hit you for your credit score.  There is no minimum with FHA (the government insurance program) although there could be with the lender.  ALWAYS take the PMI option, never go with a loan with no PMI.  You can get rid of it in two years, otherwise, it's a higher rate.  Stay with fixed rate products.  Interest rates are going to be increasing as loans are becoming increasingly more difficult to sell in the secondary market.  That's all the advice I can think of!

dyanamite= 20 years in the housing industry as a Realtor, now a mortgage broker and always a real estate investor.  Good luck!
Message 7 of 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

You are paying for your FICO score period. The comments while sometimes relevant can be inconsistent.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.