Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st time car loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

1st time car loan

Experian:732 (as of 02/19/15 for all 3 below)

Equifax:720

Transunion:732

Fico:749 (as of today)

I was approved for a $10,000 Mastercard with USAA in early February which has about $900 on it.

I have a $1500 Walmart store card with $0 on it.

I am an authorized user on my husbands USAA credit card which has a $1000 credit limit with around $315 on it.

I also have about $6050 in student loans.

I have never been late on any payments of any kind.

Im looking into purchasing my 1st car. New or Used. Challenger or Charger. Ideally Im looking for a monthly payment around $350. I could do a $5000 down payment. Im not sure about a range yet but $25,000 or less out the door. 

My husband & I just moved to Colorado because of military orders. Im in the process of completing a course prior to beginning work within the next month so aside from unemployment ($288 a week for about 4 months) I have no income. For this reason I am considering having my husband co-sign. I would prefer to wait but sharing a car is becoming a hassle & strain on the car we have.  I was hopinh to wait until July or so when the 2016 models roll out to get a 2012-2015 for a reduced rate.

My husbands credit is slightly concerning. I have rebuilt it quite a bit but there is 1 potentially negative item still on his report until December. 

His Experian is : 723 as of 03/07

HIs Equifax is 664 as of 02/19

HIs Transunion is 690 as of 02/19

His Fico is 733

He has a $1000 CL on his USAA CC with $315 on it

He is an authorized user on my $10000 USAA CC with $900 on it

He has a $3000 Helzberg store card with $0 on it

He has a $3500 loan thru Pioneer with $700 left

He is a joint card holder on my Walmart store card with nothing on it $1500 limit.

Should I wait? Attempt to apply alone? Apply with him? Im hoping for the lowest interest rate of course but no idea what it may be. Any feedback at all would be great really.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: 1st time car loan

@Anonymous wrote:

Experian:732 (as of 02/19/15 for all 3 below)

Equifax:720

Transunion:732

Fico:749 (as of today)

I was approved for a $10,000 Mastercard with USAA in early February which has about $900 on it.

I have a $1500 Walmart store card with $0 on it.

I am an authorized user on my husbands USAA credit card which has a $1000 credit limit with around $315 on it.

I also have about $6050 in student loans.

I have never been late on any payments of any kind.

Im looking into purchasing my 1st car. New or Used. Challenger or Charger. Ideally Im looking for a monthly payment around $350. I could do a $5000 down payment. Im not sure about a range yet but $25,000 or less out the door. 

My husband & I just moved to Colorado because of military orders. Im in the process of completing a course prior to beginning work within the next month so aside from unemployment ($288 a week for about 4 months) I have no income. For this reason I am considering having my husband co-sign. I would prefer to wait but sharing a car is becoming a hassle & strain on the car we have.  I was hopinh to wait until July or so when the 2016 models roll out to get a 2012-2015 for a reduced rate.

My husbands credit is slightly concerning. I have rebuilt it quite a bit but there is 1 potentially negative item still on his report until December. 

His Experian is : 723 as of 03/07

HIs Equifax is 664 as of 02/19

HIs Transunion is 690 as of 02/19

His Fico is 733

He has a $1000 CL on his USAA CC with $315 on it

He is an authorized user on my $10000 USAA CC with $900 on it

He has a $3000 Helzberg store card with $0 on it

He has a $3500 loan thru Pioneer with $700 left

He is a joint card holder on my Walmart store card with nothing on it $1500 limit.

Should I wait? Attempt to apply alone? Apply with him? Im hoping for the lowest interest rate of course but no idea what it may be. Any feedback at all would be great really.

You will need to apply with him because of your income. All other factors are okay including his credit. You can either apply with him now and have no problem getting a good rate or wait until you start to have higher income.

Message 2 of 3
guydiver
Established Contributor

Re: 1st time car loan

You'll probably need to go joint now until your income improves.  Don't see any problem now if you are conservative in your purchase. Keep us informed, and good luck to you.   

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.