cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience Package (Sold old vehicle to Carmax)

tag
LakeLife
Established Contributor

2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience Package (Sold old vehicle to Carmax)

I'm in so deep with NFCU now that I think my name is probably thrown around at the local branch.  After getting our lake house (financed via NFCU) four hours away, along with the fact that my wife's 2016 Jeep Patriot is six years old and out of warranty, we decided to get something new with better MPGs.  After a ton of research, I decided on the redesigned 2022 Hyundai Tuscon Hybrid.  It's got lots of bells and whistles along with (more importantly) lots of safety features.  Adaptive cruise control is a huge thing for us in the DC area as well.  

We got $17k from Carmax for her 54k miles Patriot that we paid just over $19k for brand new.  This car market is insane!  We got the Tucson for MSRP (other dealers in the area were adding up to $3k for a "market adjustment") and got a great deal on the extended warranty due to the fact that I did a little research ahead of time.  That research saved us $2,400 on the $4,000 "retail" price on the warranty for a 10 year/100k bumper to bumper platinum warranty.

The new car is so technically ahead of the old Patriot, that it's not even a fair comparison.  Again NFCU came through at 72 months with 2.29% interest.  The online portal is so easy to use, and I used my wife as a co-signer since it's her car. 

Bottom line is that I'm thrilled with Carmax, NFCU and Alexandria Hyundai.  Cherry on top is that it was one of the best dealership experiences I've ever had.  See my review here:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/alexandria-hyundai-alexandria?hrid=yKBRbpRq6-76Pn4n1_E7Ow&utm_campaign=www_... 

cc_2022hys210003_03_640_r2t.jpgcc_2022hys020048_02_640_r2t.jpg

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Mjhall85
Frequent Contributor

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience Package (Sold old vehicle to Carmax)

Congrats on the new ride and great rate! Alexandria is an awesome place, so close to DC but feels nothing like the area. I have family that lives back there and it's wonderful to visit except for now, a bit cold for me!

Chapter 7 filed 2/3
Discharged 6/30

Fico 8
EQ 681 TU 671 Ex 665
Fico 4 TU 690 Fico 5 702 Fico 2 693
Message 2 of 7
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience Package (Sold old vehicle to Carmax)

@Mjhall85 wrote:

Congrats on the new ride and great rate! Alexandria is an awesome place, so close to DC but feels nothing like the area. I have family that lives back there and it's wonderful to visit except for now, a bit cold for me!

It's especially cold this morning!  We actually live in Herndon, but I use to work in Old Town Alexandria.  It is a really beautiful area.  

Thank you!

Message 3 of 7
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

Awesome deal - used car trade in value and new car MSRP w/ extended warranty discount!

We are looking for an EV and may have to get a Hyundai since Ford is not very good on inventory...

Message 4 of 7
LakeLife
Established Contributor

@4sallypat wrote:

Congrats!

Awesome deal - used car trade in value and new car MSRP w/ extended warranty discount!

We are looking for an EV and may have to get a Hyundai since Ford is not very good on inventory...

We looked at the Ford Escape, but they only offer FWD with their plug-in hybrid and use a CVT on their on their AWD standard hybrid.  Funny enough, the Hyundai comes with a 6-speed automatic which is the exact same transmission our Jeep Patriot had.  It is a known well used transmission and gave us zero problems with the Patriot.  I still don't trust CVTs to be honest.

One thing I forgot to mention, that Hyundai is the only manufacturer in the country (that I can tell) that offers a rebate to veterans (not just active duty or retired), so we actually got the Tucson for $500 under MSRP.

Message 5 of 7
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

Congrats on the new Tucson purchase!  We just joined the Hyundai family in December and had similar experiences as you.

We finally found a Hyundai dealer 6 hours away in a different state that didn't mark up the Hyundai Palisade $5-10K above MSRP.  The Palisade (and sister Kia Telluride) have been hot items since introduced 3 years ago and that was the markup even before the recent supply issues causing crazy price hikes.  We put a down payment on a 2022 Palisade Limited that was supposed to be delivered in January, but it arrived a couple of days after we placed our down payment... to the dealership's surprise!  They received two Palisades exactly alike, one was ours and the other was available for sale.

We arrived a couple of days later to pick up our purchase, and we saw two of them sitting in the front with people prepping them.  I thought one was ours, but turns out neither were.  A person bought the twin 2022 Palisade, but was trading in a 2021 Palisade for it.  Same color and trim level... exactly the same just 1 year newer.  The person drove from 2 states away to trade their 2021 Palisade for the new because... now get this.... they got more $ back on the trade than they were paying for the new 2022.  The guy said "why not, I get a 1 year newer vehicle with 1 extra year of warranty and lower milage, and I get money back to boot!".  Can't blame him one bit!

While searching for our Palisade, we were constantly being steered to buy some used ones about 2 or 3 years old with 30k miles on them... but for more than MSRP for a brand new 2022.  The dealerships were stating that its tough to get a brand new one, and that they have waiting lists for those new ones.  Its crazy out there!

Message 6 of 7
LakeLife
Established Contributor

@Duke_Nukem wrote:

Congrats on the new Tucson purchase!  We just joined the Hyundai family in December and had similar experiences as you.

We finally found a Hyundai dealer 6 hours away in a different state that didn't mark up the Hyundai Palisade $5-10K above MSRP.  The Palisade (and sister Kia Telluride) have been hot items since introduced 3 years ago and that was the markup even before the recent supply issues causing crazy price hikes.  We put a down payment on a 2022 Palisade Limited that was supposed to be delivered in January, but it arrived a couple of days after we placed our down payment... to the dealership's surprise!  They received two Palisades exactly alike, one was ours and the other was available for sale.

We arrived a couple of days later to pick up our purchase, and we saw two of them sitting in the front with people prepping them.  I thought one was ours, but turns out neither were.  A person bought the twin 2022 Palisade, but was trading in a 2021 Palisade for it.  Same color and trim level... exactly the same just 1 year newer.  The person drove from 2 states away to trade their 2021 Palisade for the new because... now get this.... they got more $ back on the trade than they were paying for the new 2022.  The guy said "why not, I get a 1 year newer vehicle with 1 extra year of warranty and lower milage, and I get money back to boot!".  Can't blame him one bit!

While searching for our Palisade, we were constantly being steered to buy some used ones about 2 or 3 years old with 30k miles on them... but for more than MSRP for a brand new 2022.  The dealerships were stating that its tough to get a brand new one, and that they have waiting lists for those new ones.  Its crazy out there!

Glad you had a positive experience as well!  It is beyond insane out there.  I'm just glad I'm set with vehicles for a good long time.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.