cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed - Pay off car? Refinance it? Or sell it and buy new car?

tag
mbauza86
Contributor

Advice needed - Pay off car? Refinance it? Or sell it and buy new car?

Hello,

I wanted to get some advice because I just have no idea what to do Smiley Sad

I currently have a car loan w/ BB&T and I’m currently paying about $680 a month. I’m planning to buy a house in April 2021 and I want to bring that payment down or get rid of it, so that I can use that extra cash towards the monthly mortgage payments. 

Now, I don’t know if I should should pay it all off (19k left), sell it and buy a new car w/ lower interest OR refinance it.

The original Loan was almost 42k @ 5.75% for 72 months. My credit wasn’t when I got the car, but is now so much better.

Here’s the loan breakdown

Car $34,472

Gap  $750

Extended warranty $4181

Fees/Taxes/Title/Service  $2082

The car is a 2014 Mercedes Benz GLK 350 and w/ 64k miles now. I checked what the value of the car is and it is worth anywhere from 13k-16k.

Would it make more sense to refinance it, sell it and buy a new one car at the lower interest or just pay it off?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice needed - Pay off car? Refinance it? Or sell it and buy new car?

@mbauza86 wrote:

I’m planning to buy a house in April 2021.

You don't want a new loan within a year of getting a mortgage loan.

Want to bring that payment down or get rid of it, so that I can use that extra cash towards the monthly mortgage payments. 

Mortgage loans are 15-30 years, cars short term.  If a car payment means you are so close that you need that money for your payments you should be hard thinking buying a house at this time.

Now, I don’t know if I should should pay it all off (19k left)

If you have the money and don't need it for down on house, closing cost, etc,  (Yes)

Sell it and buy a new car w/ lower interest 

"No new loan".

You could sell it and buy cheap car with cash.

Refinance it.

The original Loan was almost 42k @ 5.75% for 72 months.

The car is a 2014 Mercedes Benz GLK 350 and w/ 64k miles, worth (13k-16k).

That is not really a horrible  interest rate on a long term loan.   You already have lost the most in depreciation and paid the largest part of your loan interest.   I would think about keeping the car, if your profile supports home purchase without selling it.  After closing on house refinance.

Good luck

Message 2 of 3
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice needed - Pay off car? Refinance it? Or sell it and buy new car?

@Kforce wrote:

@mbauza86 wrote:

Refinance it.

The original Loan was almost 42k @ 5.75% for 72 months.

The car is a 2014 Mercedes Benz GLK 350 and w/ 64k miles, worth (13k-16k).

That is not really a horrible  interest rate on a long term loan.   You already have lost the most in depreciation and paid the largest part of your loan interest.   I would think about keeping the car, if your profile supports home purchase without selling it.  After closing on house refinance.

I calculated the numbers.

42k @ 5.75% for 72 months at the payment with 19k balance =  $6,300 interest paid to date.

From 19k to loan end =  $1,400 additional interest paid.

You are way past "the point of no return", in my opinion.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.