Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alliant Credit Union

tag
pen_nyc
Established Member

Alliant Credit Union

Hi all.

Does anyone know up to how much Alliant Credit Union will loan on a used car? 

I'm looking at a 2006 Lexus IS350 for $25K. Have $4K for a down payment.  I joined Alliant a little over a month ago.

Thanks.

-P.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Alliant Credit Union

I think that might be a question for Alliant, directly.

@pen_nyc wrote:

Hi all.

Does anyone know up to how much Alliant Credit Union will loan on a used car? 

I'm looking at a 2006 Lexus IS350 for $25K. Have $4K for a down payment.  I joined Alliant a little over a month ago.

Thanks.

-P.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

When last you were here we walked you through opening an Alliant account.

You were pre-approved for $20K.

I am sure if you simply called them and spoke to a loan officer you could extend the amount to the amount you need.

Message 3 of 13
pen_nyc
Established Member

Thanks for the reply USMC.

I called them this morning and they told me that the max is based on  the NADA value of the car which is perfect.

And yes, when I did open my Alliant account (thanks to you btw!) they did "pre-approve" me for both an auto loan for $ 20K and a visa for $ 7500. I did apply for the Visa and was given a $ 500 credit line only. The rep told me it was because I had not history with them. Since then I've been depositing $ 250 a week into the saving account and to get pad that a bit more then apply for an auto loan. 

Thanks again for all your help!

-P.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pen_nyc wrote:

Thanks for the reply USMC.

I called them this morning and they told me that the max is based on  the NADA value of the car which is perfect.

And yes, when I did open my Alliant account (thanks to you btw!) they did "pre-approve" me for both an auto loan for $ 20K and a visa for $ 7500. I did apply for the Visa and was given a $ 500 credit line only. The rep told me it was because I had not history with them. Since then I've been depositing $ 250 a week into the saving account and to get pad that a bit more then apply for an auto loan. 

Thanks again for all your help!

-P.

So.....are you getting approved?
Message 5 of 13
pen_nyc
Established Member

Still waiting for a reply back.

They told me they need to call me back with an answer.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

-P.

Message 6 of 13
pen_nyc
Established Member

Well, got denied.

Apparently I don't have enough credit history.

If I get a cosigner who will also join Alliant I should get approved but as of right now its a no.

Question - a potential cosigner would be my step father but he is retired. Does that matter?

-P.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think that might be a question for Alliant, directly.

I'll second that...Smiley Wink

King
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, it was a long shot.

I am sorry I could not help you get done.

We had a lot of non positive issues involved to overcome.

And to be honest I have not been approved for a car payment through them

We all learned a lot.

You are unfortunately back in the same place you were when you started.

I would keep saving....a lot.

Did you try to get them to make a counter offer? If you need  a car that bad you may be able to get approval on a cheaper car.

sometimes you cannot get what you want, but can get what you need.

Message 9 of 13
pen_nyc
Established Member

No need to apologize. I definitely appreciated your help in getting me into the CU to begin with. I did briefly consider taking my money out of the savings account (about $1K now with the lates transfer done yesterday) but will hold off for now.

I would say that I am not where I started. I have a relationship now with a credit union that maybe one day will help me in getting a mortgage and I have a new trade line via my first unsecured credit card in loooong time.

Next step is to swallow some pride and get a cosigner. Not something I wanted to do but sometimes one needs to make sacrifices to get what they want.

-P.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.