Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another reason for the Auto Loan - Don't be a Cash Buyer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another reason for the Auto Loan - Don't be a Cash Buyer

A lot of the experts say you should never pay cash for a car - at least not at the dealership. Reason - most of their profit is made at the F&I desk (Finance and Insurance) so if you cut that desk out the salesperson will simply increase the cost of the car to make up for the lost F&I profits. If you have the cash for the car, I would suggest letting the dealer do the financing and when the first payment is due, pay them all, meaning pay off the car.

Here's the math: I bought a new car last week. I had the cash in the bank. By letting the dealer finance the car, the dealer gave me a $500 Finance Bonus ($500 off for using their finance company) which I would not have "qualified for" as a cash buyer. Here's how the math rolled out for me:

Cost of Car $26,090

Less Extras I refused to pay for (remove the extra or not, I'm not buying it) -$521

Less Finance Bonus -$500

Less Trade in -$8,000

Less cash down -$3,000

Less Manufacturers Rebate -$4,000

Plus Doc Fee +$489

Plus Sales Tax +$1137

Plus AZ License Fees +$472

Amount Financed $12,167

Loan Term: 36 months

Interest Rate 3.99%

Interest to be paid when I pay off the loan at payment #1 - $33.46

So a $500 discount cost me $33. Pay cash and there is no $500 discount. This is an actual car deal I bought on a 2020 Buick Encore in Tucson AZ on 22 June 2020. Here is a link to where a car guy explains this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S9cQOPxzfg

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Another reason for the Auto Loan - Don't be a Cash Buyer

20 years ago when auto rates were 10% or more it made sense to pay cash or pay extra. these days with near zero rates it's free money for you paying it over many years.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll pass on this one.  We have no plans to ever finance a car again.  I'll take my cash and buy a preowned that is a couple years old.  That is a much larger discount than $500 and works just fine for us.  

To each their own. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

20 years ago when auto rates were 10% or more it made sense to pay cash or pay extra. these days with near zero rates it's free money for you paying it over many years.

That is partly true - the true part is that car loans are incredibly cheap these days. The other side of the coin is that the return on savings accounts is even more paltry. 4% APY sounds like a bargain, but why pay 4% to get 1/10 of 1%?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll pass on this one.  We have no plans to ever finance a car again.  I'll take my cash and buy a preowned that is a couple years old.  That is a much larger discount than $500 and works just fine for us.  

To each their own. 

What I posted would only apply to new car purchases, not used.

Message 5 of 8
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Finance bonus depends on what promo they have at the time. It does not apply to all loans.

Whether $467 is worth it for you to sign up for a new loan/inquiry/account is worth it to you is your perogative.

Message 6 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A lot of the experts say you should never pay cash for a car - at least not at the dealership. Reason - most of their profit is made at the F&I desk (Finance and Insurance) so if you cut that desk out the salesperson will simply increase the cost of the car to make up for the lost F&I profits. If you have the cash for the car, I would suggest letting the dealer do the financing and when the first payment is due, pay them all, meaning pay off the car.

Here's the math: I bought a new car last week. I had the cash in the bank. By letting the dealer finance the car, the dealer gave me a $500 Finance Bonus ($500 off for using their finance company) which I would not have "qualified for" as a cash buyer. Here's how the math rolled out for me:

Cost of Car $26,090

Less Extras I refused to pay for (remove the extra or not, I'm not buying it) -$521

Less Finance Bonus -$500

Less Trade in -$8,000

Less cash down -$3,000

Less Manufacturers Rebate -$4,000

Plus Doc Fee +$489

Plus Sales Tax +$1137

Plus AZ License Fees +$472

Amount Financed $12,167

Loan Term: 36 months

Interest Rate 3.99%

Interest to be paid when I pay off the loan at payment #1 - $33.46

So a $500 discount cost me $33. Pay cash and there is no $500 discount. This is an actual car deal I bought on a 2020 Buick Encore in Tucson AZ on 22 June 2020. Here is a link to where a car guy explains this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S9cQOPxzfg

Two thoughts on this (and why I'm still going to be a cash buyer):

1. We also live in the age of the Internet. If I'm buying a used car, I can research in advance of ever stepping foot into a dealership. I know the asking price for a car at every dealership within 500 miles of here and know what the fair price for the car is. I don't react to high-pressure sales tactics, and am quite happy to walk in, ask for the exact car I came to see, make a take-it-or-leave-it offer, and walk if they don't want to deal. They'll try a few things, but as soon as they see you're really ready to walk, they'll usually come around and present at least a competitive offer.

2. IME, prices for new cars/custom orders are pretty much non-negotiable. You can sometimes wrangle a slight discount if they can find the exact configuration/color/etc already on a lot somewhere, but more often than not the prices are being set by the manufacturer. You can get the usual loyalty/ED discounts/promotions applied, but someone like a BMW or Porsche isn't going to haggle on the cost for the navigation package or the upgraded rims on that new car build.

Message 7 of 8
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous 

Very cool take. I like the idea!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.