cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are car payments like credit cards, where past the due date=notifying credit bureaus?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are car payments like credit cards, where past the due date=notifying credit bureaus?

I live with my Dad and he has a loan with Toyota. The monthly statement always shows the normal due date, and then has a sentence near it saying "$10 late fee if received after this date," which is usually ten days after the original due date.

Sometimes things get tight and my Dad trys to buy time by paying the payment a week or so after the due date, but still before the $10 late fee is issued. Is this killing his credit or would Toyota only clarify him as late to the bureaus if he's 30 days late? I know with credit card companies, that when your even a day late, they immediately show up on you're credit report as late. Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Are car payments like credit cards, where past the due date=notifying credit bureaus?

IMHO your dad would be okay.  The problems happen if you pay after the next statement date.  Some creditors only report at 60 days late but I would not test them on that.

Something else to consider is that while a 30 day late is not fatal to your credit score in the long run, it could cause secondary effects like AA from your dad's CCCs so I would also consider that as well.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are car payments like credit cards, where past the due date=notifying credit bureaus?

In my experience it will only report late if it is posted past the next due date, in other words pay and make sure it post before the next payment is due, although he will probably incur a late fee it probably wont effect his credit.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.