Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan Advice and Suggestions, Please

tag
Jazket

Auto Loan Advice and Suggestions, Please

Hi Dear ones

It is my first time posting here, though I usually come around to learn from your experiences.

I'm shopping for a new car and need some advices.

Here is my situation:

I'm currently employed, married, 22 years old and attending school. I can pretty much afford the car I'm shopping for but whether I can get a loan it's something else. My credit score is 630 due to a bad term of maxed out cards which I just got myself out of. Besides that, I have NEVER missed a payment and have always paid more than the minimun, and lately just paid off most of my credit card debt. I have 4 credit cards with a total revolving credit of $3,800.00 out of which I only ow about 20%. That's pumped up my score for about 40 points in the last 3-4 months. It was bad, like 595 bad.

I only have 14 months of credit history, since I got my first card on september 2007.That's a one year and 2 monthish old credit history; I sort of understand that's not a good history lenght.

I got a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer ES back in January (08) with a APR of 11.60 and 72 months. I know, it's bad but at that time I had about 1-2 months of credit so I'm glad I even got it.

Again I've always paid my car on time, even before time! so I'm good all around. Although, I still owe about 92% of the loan which is $20,000. My lender is Capital One; I've got credit cards with them also.

I recently got a student loan for about $4,500 but owe it all cause I am entitle to pay it after I finish school (6 months from now).

So in resume, I've got to installement loans and 4 credit cards with low or no balance. My score is at 630 (EQ) and I want to apply for a loan on a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR. The car's price is around $38,000 with all extra dealer fees (around 36,000 excluding them). I've got zero down payment so I'm aiming at a $38,000 loan.

I haven't applied anywhere cause of the whole credit crunch and economy turmoil thing, I don't want to get turned down and have a bunch of new inquiries to mess up my credit. I already have 20 inquiries hurting my score all over a one-year period, and that's because I was looking for a refinance on my current car.

Here is the good part (asuming I'm doing real bad) me and my wife together can afford payments of up to $1,100 but I don't want to pay more than $650 a month cause I also have to count insurance (about 180 extra on my StateFarm acount); My wife's got a credit score of 715 and ZERO loans and the same credit history lenght (1.2 years; she's good barely any inquiries so she's doing real good on that side also; credit card debt ratio is of %30 and will most likely be down to 5% by next month. She only makes about 40% the salary that I make. I wanted to take advantage of some offers on the car's price cause the Lancer Evolution MR is MSRP'd at $41,000 but I can get it for $36,000 like I said + tax/title/dealer fees/delivery. Me and my wife are filling jointly and most likely with CapitalONE again.They got rates of 6.80 on a 60-72 month loan.

Based on all this information, what do you guys think is my best bet, what advice can you give me? shoud I  go for the same lender, should I start shopping around for the best offer? should I wait? do you think a 1.2 year credit history won't help me get a good rate? do you think most lenders won't give out $38k looking at how the economy is right now?

Please give me any advice you can I'll really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

God Bless.

PS: Is it also possible if I print my most recent credit score & report from Equifax (I can get an updated report whenever I want) I can have the dealer/lender work with those numbers and not run an inquiry on my/my wife's credit?

Thanks again!

Edit: I'd also like to point out that on TU, my credit score is about 25 points higher, and they, unlike Experian & Equifax, are counting a contract I had with Bally Fitness since 2005, which is roughly about 4 years of credit history and I also finished paying and never was late.

Message Edited by Jazket on 12-10-2008 09:01 AM
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto Loan Advice and Suggestions, Please

What is your combined income?

Will this become a third vehicle? or are you trading one in?

Just because you can afford $1100 in debts doesn't mean you should go out and spend that.......The economy is going to hell in a handbasket...If one of you lost your job tomorrow would you still have 8 months reserves to pay all car payments, credit card payments, rent etc? I believe your answer is No, since you don't have a down payment

In my opinion, do not do this.  Why do you need a $40,000 car when you have a brand new '08 in the driveway and another car in the driveway that neither of them are paid for?

You are young.........again in my opinion you will regret this...what happens when you are ready to buy a house?  You won't be able to afford one with all of these debts you are accumulating.

Also, Mitsubishi's values CRASH.  This $40K car will be worth $20K in a year.

Good Luck!

Message Edited by 1111mel on 12-10-2008 12:03 PM
Message 2 of 17
Jazket

Our combined Income is $4,000. In reality we get to keep $1,500 a month after all the bills and expenses; But that just started happening recently which is why I don't have a down pmnt saved. The reason why I said I can afford 1,100 in debts its cause I want to make sure the other $400 I get to keep on a savings account.

I have a second car which I use as a daily driver, a 2002 Kia; I can private sell it or trade. I bought that car cash about 2 years ago, while my wife gets to keep the '08 cause she works a block away from home.

I was also considering buying a house rather than the new car. It's a much better investment IMO. I get your advice and I've been towards the "no-go" on the new Lancer, just needed a couple more advices; sometimes young people don't make the best decision of their lives you know.

Thanks for the advice! Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Jazket on 12-10-2008 10:23 AM
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand wanting the car....I HAD a Mitsubishi Eclipse that was $631 per month on a $3,200 a month after taxes income.....I couldn't afford it and I have $0 in Credit Card debt.

I got rid of it to save for a house.  The house is a much better choice.  If you still want the car after you buy the house and can still afford it, then maybe go for it.

There you go, I made the mistake for you.  Good Luck!

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am kind of in the boat as you. I am 20 yo and I just got my first auto loan but you are aiming at a 40k car. Evo is going to run you that much more in insurance rates, besides that think of all the money you are going to dump into the car if you get it. Not only will you be stuck w/ a high monthly payment but the car does require a lot more maintenance and (more then likely) aftermarket parts. Look into last gen subaru legacy gt or maybe even a 3000gt vr4. You can get a low miles for under 20k. If you go with the new evo, I would estimate your payment around $800 plus MUCH higher insurance rate.   I would say buy a house before you get performance car.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgot to mention. Based on your short term history, the only place that would finance you for that much car is probably directly through Mitsubishi Credit, even  that might be a stretch. I strongly suggest to look into a cheaper low mileage car.
Message 6 of 17
Jazket

I was considering the '09 Ralliart which is a bit close to the Evo performance and tech-wise and I could get one for about $24K. But it was the fact of owning the higher-end trim plus a bunch other things we all male know of (leather, badassness, track racing, gullibility, insanity and love for power, etc...).

I know the aftermarket stuff was also a consideration but I kind of wasn't thinking of voiding the warranty on a 40K car u know what I mean. dvroberts, now that you mention the MMC (Mitsubishi Motors Credit) when I first got the Lancer back in January, Mitsu Credit didn't want business with me due to my credit history, that's why I went with CapitalOne Auto Financing.

And I've got crazy offers on good houses also down here in the miami/homestead area (built on 2006) that I really should consider! 

Oh and 1111mel, thanks for making the mistake for me Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Jazket on 12-10-2008 01:10 PM
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Jaz,

Your 1st priority needs to be improving your credit scores and refinancing that car loan, 20K @11.5% for 72 months means you're paying a ton of interest.

With as much free cash as you have, cram down that CapOne loan, Crap-One may have given you a loan tp get you started, but they are not competitive, I made the mistake of app'ingwith them to see what they'd offer this past summer to buy a new vehicle, they offered 9%, even BofA beat that with 6.4, FMC gave me 4.99

If you improve your credit scores over the next three to four months you should be able to cut that apr in half and since you've already paid over2K in interest (started payments in January ?) you need to refi for no more than 48-mo, prefereably 36, to cut down on the interest you pay.

A 15K refi loan @6.5% for 48-mo gives you the same payment you currently have at 11.5% but saves you 4+K on the interest.

New cars will not hold their value, real estate will (well, eventually Smiley Happy   One of my co-workers just bought a 4200sq ft new construction home outside Hampton Ga that's been sittng empty  for the the past 18-months, the builder listed it initially at 399K, he closed on it for 215K,

Good luck,

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to be nicer online....

Ignore most of the advice you have gotten so far. A house is far more work and stress than a young couple needs right now. On top of that, if you heard the TARP hearings this morning you know we are no where near the "end" of this and prices of homes will continue to drop.

I might suggest a cheaper car but not because somebody was thinking cheaper (ie used). I'm thinking cheaper as in "90% of the performance for $10,000 less"

That would be -

2009 Lancer Raliart

It MSRP's for $27,000 or about $10,000 off what an EVO cost and according to many reviews its about 90% of the performance level of an EVO X. Its Turbocharged and AWD, just like an EVO X. No electronic diffs, Yaw Control, "Flappy Paddle Gear Box" and heavier Steel Suspension parts instead of lighter and more expensive aluminum is where the savings came from. Also a slightly more restrictive intake system.

Should be easier to get a loan for as well.

Good Luck...

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who ever told you cars were an investment? Most lose 30% of its value the minute you drive it off the lot.

I look at cars more like an expensive "pet". Unless you breed pets (or build cars), that's not an investment.

Houses require much work in upkeep (lawn care, etc), nevermind property taxes that have to be paid twice a year, home owners insurance, fire insurance and depending where you live natural disaster insurance. Home Ownership is not for everybody or every one, its an American Social Myth much like Marriage is becoming. I have family friends that have rented all their lives as adults and others have struggled with ownership.

I hope people stop suggesting Home Ownership as the best way to secure your long term financial success

Next people will suggest marriage to spread your tax burden and kids to get tax credits...

If you can afford it and banks will lend you the money to buy it, BUY IT, you only live once.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.