Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto Loan Advice

Hey all, I've been pretty excited since finding this site and leveraging the information here for multiple purposes this past weekend. I actually stumbled upon it while looking up info on auto loans, and while I've lost many hours reading many threads here I've mostly leveraged the site for other purposes. It's time to actually get to the point. I may write a lot; I just want the complete picture here in case anyone thinks they can help.

Goal: 2015 Mustang GT (Premium preferred)

Car's listed MSRP: $32k - $36k, but I believe I'll be able to utilize the X-Plan pricing by signing up for VeteransAdvantage.com. So maybe $29k - $33k. This will be in lieu of any incentives, but I think the only one offered on the new 'stang is a $500 rebate anyway.

Alright, so now let's see where I sit:

25 years old, active-duty military with $45k annual income which will be increasing to $50k on Dec 16th.

Current myFico scores as of 11/14:

EQ - 632

TU - 631

EX - 619

These scores were influenced by some information which has since changed: one $300 limit Capital One CC nearly maxed at $273, and a $500 NFCU NavCheck overdraft line of credit with a reported $0 balance. This information has changed, though the NFCU statement already cut on the 16th and so won't be reflected this month. For NFCU I requested a CLI and got the $500 bumped to $3500 with one HP, and also got approved for a $7,000 CC with a SP. Capital One cuts the statement today, and I have a pending payment for the full balance scheduled for today (hoping it posts before the statement is cut, and reaches my CR with a $0 balance), as well as a CLI from the $300 to $400.

TL;DR:

Old Credit: $273/300 Cap1 CC, $0/500 NFCU NavCheck LOC

New Credit: $0/400 Cap1 CC, $0/3500 NFCU NavCheck LOC, $0/7000 NFCU CC

I'm hoping this boosts my scores some despite the single hard pull and the new account lowering my average some. The myFICO estimator estimates paying off the $273 CC balance alone could boost my scores +10 EQ, +5 TU, +10 EX, and that's without factoring in the additional $10,100 in limit increases. Bear in mind there are still some negative entries and collections in my credit report from some hard times I had earlier in my adulthood.

Hopefully helping my score (auto-enhanced), I have an auto loan out from November 2012, and have neither missed nor been late on a single payment. I would like to trade this in despite still having probably a few thousand dollars in negative equity on the loan. I took it with a 16.9% APR and though I've recently been pre-approved to refinance through both Cap1 and NFCU, I've held off since I would like to purchase a new car in a better condition. 

I've been checking the CreditPulls database as well as the Auto Loan Approvals thread here, plus just reading up on threads involving Capital One's Blank Check, Ford Motor Credit, and NFCU Auto. From the sounds of it, my best bet is to try to apply with at least a 650-660 score, though 680 would obviously be ideal (and probably unrealistic). I can probably offer a few thousand to down payment. It would probably make my life if I could get approved for $40k at 0% for 60 months, as I have seen other users with $650 scores post on here their 0% APR through Ford, but I would be ecstatic to just have a single-digit-plus-decimal APR after having the 16.9% for 2 years. And, of course, I need to be approved for the amount of the car I want.

Alright, now here's the rough part. I want this car soon! So I was thinking if I pull my scores after next month's statements hit my CR, and I see 650+, I pull the trigger. If not maybe I could wait till January or February at the latest. (Good reason for this.) Just want some advice. Is 650 a reasonable line to shoot for? Think it's even possible to hit that in this short timeframe? Any hope of my CLIs outweighing the cost of that HP and new account to add to my score? And how much might I expect to gain/lose from 2 years of a perfect payment history on a car despite it not being fully paid off? Do any of those lenders even use auto enhanced scores/are there other lenders you might recommend?

I know if it's a lot. If you actually read through that, thanks! If you might have some advice, even better! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Auto Loan Advice

what's your navy refi approved at?

has the new credit card and new loc credit line started reporting yet?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto Loan Advice

@Creditaddict wrote:

what's your navy refi approved at?

has the new credit card and new loc credit line started reporting yet?

I didn't apply for the refinance because with the upcoming purchase in mind, I don't want too many inquiries. I also plan to apply for my loan with NFCU as one of my lenders, and I don't know how they would feel with me applying to refinance one month and then trying to buy a new car the following one. The new CC and CLOC haven't started yet. I got the CLI for NavCheck just after my statement cut, and I'm still waiting for the CC so it hasn't even been activated. I know the CC could take a couple of months to report, but since I've been using NavCheck for 3 years I assume it'll just report the new limit in a month. I did manage to get my Capital One CC paid down and CLI'd just in time for this month's statement.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.