Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan paid off Credit score dropped at experian

tag
max2mum
New Contributor

Auto loan paid off Credit score dropped at experian

Can someone explain to me why I paid off my auto loan and experian dropped my score. Should this not be the reverse?

Starting Score: tu-460 eq-570 ex-580
Current Score: tu-693 (6/6/12) eq-624 ex-679 (6/6/12)

Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto loan paid off Credit score dropped at experian

@max2mum wrote:

Can someone explain to me why I paid off my auto loan and experian dropped my score. Should this not be the reverse?

Can we assume that this was your only installment loan?

This is an expected result.  A mixture of open account types is needed for optimum scoring.  It shows that you are responsible with multiple types of credit.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

It takes into account the AAoA . So that line is closed so it goes off your average of active trade lines.
Message 3 of 4
Hex
Valued Contributor

Your AAoA didn’t change but when the car loan became a closed paid account your installment loan utilization went up. An almost paid off installment loan gives you bonus points. If it’s your only installment loan and you close it you also lose points for less “credit mix”. Installment utilization looks at the total installment amounts originally borrowed (for all open installment accounts) verses what you’ve already paid (but only on open accounts). If doesn't make sense but that’s how FICO scores it. The paid off loan will still look good on a manual review and might help you get a new loan.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.